About this Bachelor's Degree
The Bachelor of Arts in Theatre is a program for those students whose interest in theatre is wide-ranging and still evolving.
There is no qualitative difference between the B.A. and either of the B.F.A. degrees. The advantage of the B.A. degree is flexibility of curriculum, and the option of pursuing a Minor degree plan.
Graduate Programs in Theatre
The Department of Theatre offers the following graduate programs, all of which are three-year residency programs with 60 credit minimums:
- M.F.A. Performance
- M.F.A. Directing
- M.F.A. Design and Technology
- Scenic Design
- Costume Design
- Lighting Design
- Students completing a BA in Theatre will be capable of integrating and communicating an understanding about theatre as a unique art form, the process by which theatre is made, and the major components that make theatre.
- BA students will show competence in multiple areas of theatre practice by successfully completing production tasks on publicly produced productions. As they progress through the program students should demonstrate progressive competency in all specific areas.
- Students should demonstrate strong intellectual skills of research, writing, and critical thinking.
- Students completing a BA in Theatre will 1) demonstrate a process of growth and development in learning about theatre and 2) participate in performance and production areas.
- Successful students will graduate with the experience and skills necessary to pursue an advanced degree in theatre or a related area (film, arts management, etc.) and/or be prepared for a career in a creative, arts related field.