Web Services: Search Engine Optimization
What Is It?
SEO is a strategy to improve the ranking of your site or specific pages in search results for search engines like Google and Bing. It can involve a variety of areas, including the following:
- How content is written and titled
- If your site is styled to ensure SEO-friendly tags are properly applied to important keywords
- How content is linked within your site (or from other sites)
- Where your pages live in the hierarchy of your site architecture
- If your site has a proper meta description for the home page and other key pages
- Increasingly, social media recommendations such as Google’s +1
- Fresh, relevant content that search engines favor over static content
Why Is It Important?
Competition for Web traffic is fierce. Improving your search rankings improves your visibility and reach, particularly with new audiences that are not familiar with Southern Miss in general or your organization specifically.