Richard McCarthy Lecture Series
The Richard McCarthy Lecture Series was founded in 2006 through the generous support of Dr. Richard McCarthy and Dr. Craig Howard and is designed to bring together students, faculty, and community members to access cutting edge research in the field of War and Society. Over the years, the McCarthy Lecture Series has provided the campus and Hattiesburg communities a broad range of programming, ranging from a panel discussion led by veterans of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to more academic programs including talks by leading historians of War and Society and Military History, such as Jeremy Black, Dennis Showalter, Gary Sheffield, Jeffrey Gray, Brian Linn, Wayne Lee, and John Lynn, just to name a few. The Richard McCarthy Lecture Series is central to the Dale Center for the Study of War & Society’s continuing community outreach efforts.
The Eleventh Richard McCarthy Lecture Series
"Pivot to Asia"
- All talks, which are free and open to the public, will begin at 6:00 pm in Room 102 of the Liberal Arts Building of the Hattiesburg campus of the University of Southern Mississippi. Parking is free on campus after 5:00 pm. For more information, please contact Dr. Kenneth Swope at firstname.lastname@example.org or (601) 266-4333.
August 25, 2015
Speaker: Dr. Peter Lorge (Vanderbilt University) CLICK for more information
Topic: “Sunzi’s (Sun-tzu’s) Art of War: What We Think it Means & What the Chinese Think It Means”
September 1, 2015
Speaker: Dr. Pingchao Zhu (University of Idaho) CLICK for more information
Topic: “China’s Romance of the Korean War: Heroism, Sacrifice, and Political Propaganda”
September 8, 2015
Speaker: Dr. Kenneth Swope (University of Southern Mississippi) CLICK for more information
Topic: “From the Clutches of Bandits into the Mouths of Tigers: Ordinary People in the Ming-Qing Transition in China”
September 15, 2015
Speaker: Colonel Wayde Benson (USMC, ret.) CLICK for more information
Topic: “Vietnam: A War in Search of a Strategy”
*CLICK HERE for a copy of the 2015 McCarthy Lecture Series poster.
Past Lecture Series
- Spring 2006: Civilians in Wartime
- Spring 2007: On the Edge of Empires: War and Society in the Early Atlantic World
- Spring 2008: War in the Pacific World”
- Spring 2009: War in the Modern Middle East
- Spring 2010: The Southern Way of War
- Spring 2011: Victory Denied: Military Historians Examine Defeat
- Fall 2011: Paradigm Shifts in the History of Warfare
- Fall 2012: Rebuilding the Army After Vietnam
- Fall 2013: "We Shall Defend our Island" The British Experience of the World Wars
- Fall 2014: Embedded: War and the Fourth Estate
- Spring 2015: A Great War for Empire