The Writing Center's Partnership with USM Faculty
Writing is now widely recognized as a mode of learning, and instructors across the disciplines at USM are asking students to write to learn new concepts, develop ideas, or process information. The Writing Center, located on the first floor of Cook Library, is committed to working with you in helping your students become more effective as writers and learners. Our services are free.
What we offer your students
- Feedback on any kind of writing project, including essays, research papers, summaries, abstracts, proposals, case studies, lab reports, application letters, resumes, business letters, and creative writing projects.
- Personalized assistance with projects at any stage of the composing process, from generating topics to proofreading and editing
- Help in developing strategies for revision
- Support in evaluating, and meeting, the demands of specific writing tasks
- Assistance with matters of style, diction, and usage
- Answers to questions about methods of reference and documentation
What we don't do
- Proofread students' papers
- Write papers for students or tell them what to think
- Guarantee a perfectly composed, edited paper
- Guess (or second-guess) your grades, comments, or intentions
How we can help you
- We can help you design effective writing assignments
- We can suggest ways to respond to students' writing
- We can work with you on a particular assignment
- We can give you insights into how your students understand and approach specific writing tasks
- We can visit your classes to orient your students to Writing Center services
How you can help us to help you
You can set up class visits to The Writing Center by calling or emailing the Coordinator, Erica Brown, at Erica.Brown@usm.edu, office phone (601) 266-4644
- Make copies of the Writing Center flyer you'll receive and post or distribute them (even if you're not having students write in your own classes this term!)
- Give us copies of your syllabi and writing assignments
- Encourage (but not require) students to use the Writing Center - perhaps offer them extra credit for working with a tutor
- Advise students to come to the Writing Center early (well in advance of due dates) and often (several times a semester)
- Understand that our goal is not to edit students' papers, but to help them become effective, confident, and productive writers
- Come visit us, see where we are located and what we do, and talk with us about how we can support you and your students!
- Feel free to call the Writing Center at 266-4821, or contact the Director, Melanie Barthleme, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Coordinator, Erica Brown, at Erica.Brown@usm.edu.