Vice President for Student Affairs and Vice Provost
Dr. Thomas H. Burke
Dr. Tom Burke came to the University in 2013 as Executive Assistant to the President for Administration. He began serving as the Interim Vice President for Student Affairs in July 2015 and was later named Vice President for Student Affairs and Vice Provost in September 2016.
Prior to USM, Dr. Burke served as Interim Vice President for Student Affairs and Associate Vice President for Student Affairs at the University of Georgia. He has also served as Dean of Student Life at Middle Tennessee State University, and Director of the Union and Student Activities and Associate Director of Student Life at the University of Alabama.
In addition, he has served in various other student affairs roles at High Point University (N.C.) and Georgia Southwestern State College and University. While in several administrative positions, he taught at the doctoral and master’s degree level in the College Student Affairs Administration program at UGA, and taught undergraduate courses in Spanish at the University of Alabama and MTSU.
Dr. Burke earned his PhD and M.S. from The Florida State University and his B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Asheville.
About the Vice President for Student Affairs and Vice Provost
The vice president for student affairs and vice provost holds supervisory responsibility for a wide range of activities, programs and services that enhance the quality of life of the university community.
- community college relations
- disability accommodations
- community and civic engagement
- Greek life
- multicultural programs and services
- Payne Center and recreational sports
- housing and residence life
- fraternity housing
- student conduct
- student counseling services
- student health services
- student ombudsman services
- union and student activities
- University Police/public safety
- all programs and services that promote student welfare and development activities and special events
- collegiate recovery program
- health education, including drug prevention and prevention
- facility reservations for student organizations (event services)
- parking appeals
- student-faculty relations
- student government association
- student leadership programs
- student programming
- student organizations
- volunteer opportunities
The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs is located in R.C.Cook Union (map), Room 210.