We will be serving as liaisons with University Communications for submitting College of Arts and Sciences events (in-person and virtual) to the USM Calendar. The new all-in-one community event software being used by the University is Localist. Since we are in the initial phases of implementation, please review the guidelines for event submissions.
All information required on the form needs to be complete. You may submit this form throughout the semester, as events are coordinated.
- Be sponsored by an official University office, academic unit, center/institute, or other related organization. The University reserves the right to approve, reject, edit, remove, or make special consideration for any events submitted to the calendar;
- Be of broad interest to members of the University community and/or surrounding community.
Events should not:
- contain or promote offensive or inappropriate content (profanity, alcohol, etc.)
- use ALL-CAPS in the title or description (except for acronyms)
Event Submission Guidelines
- All form submissions should be reviewed to ensure that event dates, times, details and spelling are correct. Please also review events for clarity, conciseness and appropriateness.
- Events should be submitted at least 14 days in advance of the event date. Events submitted less than 8 days prior to the event date will not be considered.
- Keep in mind that all event submissions need to be reviewed by UC’s calendar admins before they are posted on the website.
- Please do not use pictures of event flyers or graphic images with embedded text on
them, as they are not accessible.
- Images on the individual event pages are displayed within a circular frame. A centered image at a moderate distance is generally most effective.
- The system automatically rescales the image. Once the image is rescaled, your text may be impossible to read, or it may cut off some of the text.
Here are examples of what the calendar and images look like:
- Calendar landing page
- Image on preview page (Rectangle)
- Image on individual event page (Circular frame)
Wait, so what picture should I submit with my event?
- You should find images without text, higher quality images are encouraged.
- Find simple images related to the event being advertised. Pictures to avoid include photographs of a poster or agenda and pictures of unrelated items.
- If you do not include a picture, a default USM-related image will be used. (UC has selected standard photos for calendar use, including black-eyed susans, buildings, etc.)
Sample: Title and Description
Showbiz - A Century of Show Tunes
The creative team that created Showbiz! brings you the fourth and most entertaining production yet! Joining our talented students will be School of Music alumni Ezekiel Andrew and Nikisha Williams, fresh from their recent roles Ragtime and Hamilton. This production will survey the musical theater song book to bring you a fast-paced review of the best show tunes from the past 100 years of musicals. This event is presented by the School of Music and in part by the generous support of Partners for the Arts.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Select a relevant and compelling event title and a clear and simple picture.
- Event listings should be inviting and answer the audience's basic questions: what kind of activity, who should attend, what makes it appealing, where is it, how do I register or purchase tickets and how much does it cost OR if it is online how do I stream it.
Images on the individual event pages are displayed within a circular frame. A high quality and centered image at a moderate distance is generally most effective.
Other than the main reason being accessibility, the system automatically rescales the image. Once the image is rescaled, text may be impossible to read, or it may cut off some of the text.
No! Use a room reservation system to reserve space for your event, before submitting the event form.