- Exposure to the real business world
- Ability to make more informed career decisions
- Opportunity to land a permanent job
- Increased marketability
- Monetary compensation
- Assess interests and talents
- Great way to build confidence
- Possibility of 6 semester hours of academic credit
Students may gain 12 credit hours during the spring semester in which they participate in the internship program. Students can perform a full-time internship for 6 credit hours during the period January to mid-March and can earn 6 additional credit hours from mid-March until the end of the semester by taking ACC 407 (Gov't and Non-Profit Accounting), and ACC 401 (Advanced). Students who take part in the 6 credit hours internship must plan carefully to remain on course for graduation by taking the needed hours either before or after the internship.
Alternatively, students may earn 3 hours credit for a part-time internship. Under this option, the student will continue to take classes the entire semester and work a minimum of 20 hours per week. Students may earn degree credit for only one internship
- Register immediately with Career Services to gain access to Eagle Employment, the online career center, at www.usm.edu/cs
- Upload a resume to Eagle Employment and select 'YES' to allow employer viewing
- Review the job postings and on-campus interview schedules often!
- Submit a resume to each interview schedule you wish to apply for by the specified deadline
- Upon being selected to interview, sign-up for a specific interview time
For assistance with this process or resume assistance, go to the office of Amy Yeend, Director of Career Services in the College of Business, 2029, Scianna Hall
- Must be an accounting major
- Must have attended the School of Accountancy internship orientation during the Fall semester of your Junior year.
- Have completed ACC 325 and one other upper-level accounting course
- Have a USM and Major Area of Study GPA of 2.5 or higher
For further information or assistance, contact Valerie Simmons, Internship Coordinator.