Aside from choosing a college or university, deciding on a major is the most important decision you will make on your academic journey. Fortunately, the College of Business has a number of options, making your map to the future a little clearer.
Note: The links below are not hosted within the College of Business website and will open in a new window. These links provide an overview of the degree and the Learning Outcomes/Objectives of each.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) Degree Programs
Accounting (BSBA) | Degree Plan
- Prepares students for professional careers in which depth and breadth of business and accounting knowledge are required
- Career opportunities include public accounting, governmental accounting, forensic accounting, tax accounting, and managerial accounting.
- Available on Hattiesburg and Gulf Park campuses
- For more information, visit the School of Accountancy Web site at: www.usm.edu/business/accounting
Business Administration (BSBA) - Entrepreneurship | Degree Plan
- Provides students with the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to develop, market, and manage their own business. At the core of this emphasis is the process of entrepreneurial discovery, evaluation, and exploitation of business opportunities
- Career opportunities include business ownership, small business consulting, leadership and management development programs, sales management, general consulting and supervisory positions.
Business Administration (BSBA) - General Business (also offered fully online) | Degree Plan
The general business emphasis is a broad degree preparing students for careers in a wide range of business settings. This emphasis is appropriate for students who wish to obtain a business degree but who do not wish to specialize in a specific area of emphasis. The general business emphasis also allows students the most flexibility to custom design their program of study.
- Gives students the ability to build their own emphases, with options in accounting, finance, international business, management, and marketing, to name a few.
- Students still take the Business Core, plus 21 hours of 300/400-level business courses in the previously mentioned areas.
- This degree is currently also available fully online.
Finance (BSBA) | Banking and Finance
- Students are given education in theory, tools of analysis and problem-solving techniques fundamental to firms operating in the finance, real estate, and financial service industries. Emphasis choices in finance are banking and finance, personal financial planning, and real estate.
- Career opportunities include banks and other financial institutions, securities firms, property management, and financing.
Healthcare Marketing (BSBA) | Degree Plan
- The program's curriculum challenges its students with courses in biology, anatomy and physiology, chemistry, sales marketing and planning, product knowledge, account/territory management, business ethics, and company policies/procedures, to name a few.
- Career opportunities include pharmaceutical sales, pharmaceutical marketing, medical device sales, medical supplies sales, and hospital and physician practice marketing.
- Get ready for a successful career in the booming healthcare industry in our elite program with extra benefits funded by a special endowment.
- Prepares students for positions with international business firms operating in the global environment and state and federal agencies involved in facilitating the import-export process.
- In addition to the international business courses in the major, students are expected to participate in one international semester abroad and are required to study a foreign language to enhance sensitivity to foreign culture, language, and international business acumen.
- Management (BSBA) - (Business Administration Management)
- The business administration management emphasis is a broad degree, preparing students for careers in a wide range of business settings. The emphasis is appropriate for students who wish to obtain a business degree but who do not wish to specialize in a specific area of emphasis.
- Management (BSBA) - (Human Resource Management)
- This degree is designed to provide students with the competencies needed to help organizations acquire, develop and retain the people whose efforts are crucial to organizational success. Courses in the human resource management curriculum expose students not only to useful human resource management principles, but also to specific, real-world techniques and practices.
- Provides students with the background necessary to advance to higher-level marketing management positions and develop executive skills that are critical for success in all business occupations.
- We prepare students to be sales representatives, new product development managers, brand managers, market research specialists, and many other career tracks.
- In the past few years, we have placed students all over the country working for organizations like Pfizer, the New Orleans Saints, Hattiesburg Clinic, Buckle, Wells Fargo, R.J. Young, and Cintas.
- Also available on the Gulf Park Campus.
- Offers students the opportunity to pursue careers in the production, marketing, and merchandising of textile and apparel products.
- Our major is one of fewer than five in the country that is housed within a college of business, and majors graduate with an excellent foundation in business, as well as coursework and hands-on training in many aspects of retailing and merchandising.
- Study tours, internships, fashion shows and service-earning provide students with real-world experience while still in school.
- Career opportunities include merchandise buyer, product design/development, showroom executive, consumer journalist, wholesale account executive, store operating manager, special events planner/coordinator, trend forecaster, and private label coordinator, to name a few...
- Some recent graduates have started their career with Saks, Disney, Buckle, Macy's, and Abercrombie & Fitch.
- The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) Sport Management program prepares students for management and leadership positions with professional sport teams, intercollegiate and interscholastic athletics, university recreation programs, and amateur athletic organizations.
- Sport management courses include marketing, sales, financial planning, venue and event management, security and legal issues, and leadership principles.
- The USM Sport Management program is nationally and internationally recognized throughout the academic and industry communities. Our faculty have experience in international sport and education, and have worked with organizations such as the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA, MLS, PGA, NASCAR, and FIFA. Our program also offers credit-earning study abroad opportunities in the United Kingdom, Asia, and South America.
- Southern Miss was the first university in the state of Mississippi officially designated by the state Institutes of Higher Learning to offer this major, and even today is one of very few with the program. The department was founded in the mid-1960s, and over the years has build a strong reputation as the place to come for a hospitality degree
- Few careers offer the great diversity and lifestyle options of tourism management majors. Graduates are successfully employed in entry-level management positions that have strong career paths at highly competitive salaries.
- The Certificate Program in Apparel Construction and Design is a joint offering from the Department of Theatre and the Department of Marketing and Merchandising, and gives students the opportunity to study apparel creation through the initial design phase all the way through to marketing. Along the way, students will learn about the history of apparel through the ages and how society affects consumer behavior. The certificate program offers a rich, complex 360º view of the ways in which apparel makes its way from one person's great idea to the closets of millions of people.
- To meet the increasing demand for specifically educated professional sales personnel, the Department of Marketing and Fashion Merchandising at The University of Southern Mississippi offers an Undergraduate Certificate in Professional Selling.
The goal of the Casino Management Certificate is to develop proficiencies in casino resort operations management. The certificate program is designed for business/non-major students interested in casino resort management careers, gaming professionals seeking professional development opportunities, hospitality and tourism professionals, and educators seeking to re-skill and expand their knowledge in casino resort management. Certification course credits can be applied toward the B.S.B.A. in Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM), business electives for the General Business Administration major, and electives for other College of Business degree programs.