The Magnolia Award
A Children's Choice Award for the State of Mississippi
Mission: To introduce the children of Mississippi to current children's literature and instill a love of reading.
Children in grades K-12 who are students in Mississippi are eligible to participate. They will read the books and turn their votes in to their teacher, librarian, or other adult at an authorized voting site, who will then cast the votes electronically. Voting will be held in February, with winners announced at the Fay B. Kaigler Children's Book Festival.
Be sure to like our Facebook page and share with us the creative ways that your kids are voting!
**Congrats to the 2017 Magnolia Award Winners!**
Pre-K-2 Magnolia 2017
- The Book with No Pictures by B.J. Novak (winner)
- Ninja Baby by David Zeltser (runner-up)
3-5 Magnolia 2017
- Jars of Hope: How One Woman Saved 2,500 Children During the Holocaust by Jennifer Roy (winner)
- The Boy who Fell Off the Mayflower, or, John Howland's Good Fortune by Patrick J. Lynch (runner-up)
6-8 Magnolia 2017
- House Arrest by K.A. Holt (winner)
- Just a Drop of Water by Kerry O'Malley Cerra (runner-up)
9-12 Magnolia 2017
- Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge (winner)
- The Truth about Alice by Jennifer Mathieu (runner-up)
Remember that in support of the Magnolia Book Awards, the Mississippi Children’s Museum and the Fay B. Kaigler Children’s Book Festival are sponsoring two incredible awards.
Each location that participates in the February voting will be entered into a random drawing for one of the following:
From the Mississippi Children's Museum, the winning location will receive a day with their travelling “Imagination Playground” interactive exhibit (a $600 value).
From the Fay B. Kaigler Children’s Book Festival, one randomly selected voting participant will receive
- Free registration to the Children's Book Festival;
- A $500 honorarium to the individual; and,
- A $500 honorarium to purchase books for the winning library.
More information on the award:
- How to make a nomination for The Magnolia Award
- View the frequently asked questions
- 2018 Magnolia Reading List
- View the 2015 Children's Book Festival Presentation (PDF)
- View the 2014 MS LAMP presentation (PDF)
- View handouts from the 2014 MS LAMP presentation (PDF)
- Magnolia Awards Past Recipients
The Magnolia Award is a partnership of:
The Mississippi Children's Museum, The Mississippi Department of Education, The Mississippi Library Association, The Mississippi Library Commission, and the following divisions of the University of Southern Mississippi:
The School of Library and Information Science Fay B. Kaigler Children's Book Festival The School Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education and The deGrummond Children's Literature Collection