In addition to clinical practicum in our on-campus psychology clinic, students typically complete several clinical externships, some of which are paid 20-hour per week placements and some which are unpaid 8-hour per week placements. Clinical externships are typically supervised on-site by doctoral-level staff members at the agency where the student is placed.
Externship placements are assigned to meet the student’s individual training needs and are designed to help ensure a broad exposure to work environments common to clinical practice after graduation. We work to ensure that students rotate through a minimum of two off-campus clinical training agencies.
Current clinical externship placements include the following sites:
- Pine Grove Behavioral Health (Hattiesburg, MS)
- South Mississippi State Hospital (Purvis, MS)
- Forrest County Court Services (Hattiesburg, MS)
- Baptist Children's Village (Wiggins, MS)
- Boswell Regional Center (Magee, MS)
- Southern Behavioral Medicine (Hattiesburg, MS)
- Will's Way Pediatric Behavioral Psychology (Hattiesburg, MS)
- Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System (Biloxi, MS)
- Specialized Treatment Facility (Biloxi/Gulfport, MS)
- TIDE School (Hattiesburg, MS)
- University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson, MS)