Online Programs & Professional Licensure

Pursuant to the Federal Program Integrity Rules (34 CFR (B)(VI)(668)(F) and NC-SARA (Rule 7.2.1), the University of Southern Mississippi lists below the online programs that may lead to licensure.

Licensure is a state specific determination made by state professional licensing boards based on state determined criteria. 

Determining whether or not a program leads to licensure in another state requires the student to speak to a member of the state professional licensing board in the state in which they will be seeking licensure.  Among the information the student may need to provide is whether the program leads to licensure in the state of Mississippi.  See below a list of online programs with information relative to whether or not they lead to licensure in Mississippi.



To obtain a license in another state, the candidate should contact their state's professional licensing board as each state has different requirements for licensure.  Typically, state licensing boards will have added requirements including generally a criminal background check, added fees, and specifically the following types of requirements based on the type of license:

  • Engineering- most states require additional years of experience following graduation for candidates who apply for licensure with an Applied Technology, B.S. (which is only accepted in a few states) or an Engineering Technology, B.S. or an Industrial Engineering Technology, B.S. Typically, this would be an additional four years of experience for a total of eight years of professional experience, instead of the four years required for those who graduate with an Engineering degree.   
  • Medical Laboratory Science- ASCP certification is required by the states (see list-California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Montana, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Tennessee, West Virginia) that require licensure.  
  • Nursing- Mississippi is part of the enhanced Nursing Licensure Compact (e-NLC) along with the following states:  Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Maine, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming. For additional information about the e-NLC see the following website: e-NLC Implementation 
  • Teaching- additional coursework (i.e. a state history and state culture course), and distinct test scores.  Those seeking a license as an administrator may need to have a specific number of years of experience.   There may be additional qualifications and/or disqualifications applicable in order to work as a teacher with any local, state or federal entity.



  • Child and Family Studies, B.S.
  • Elementary Education, B.S.
  • Library and Information Science, B.S. (licensure as a school  library media specialist)
  • Special Education, B.S. 

State Departments of Education (they generally handle licensure for education with some exceptions)


  • Nutrition and Food Systems (Dietetics Practice) M.S. *
  • Nutrition and Food Systems, M.S. (Management of Child Nutrition Programs)


  • Applied Technology, B.S. * (in some states may lead to professional engineering licensure with added experience and potentially with a Masters in addition to the Bachelors)  
  • Construction Engineering Technology, B.S. 
  • Industrial Engineering Technology (Logistics), B.S.
  • Industrial Engineering Technology, B.S. 

List of Engineering Boards


Medical Laboratory Technology:

Medical Laboratory Science BS

ASCP List of State Licensing Boards for MLS and MLT


Nursing (RN-BSN)

Professional Licensing Boards for Nursing




  • Child and Family Studies, M.S.
  • Educational Administration and Supervision, M.Ed.
  • Educational Curriculum and Instruction (Elementary Education) M.Ed.
  • Library and Information Science (Licensure) M.L.I.S.
  • Music Education M.M.E.
  • Special Education M.Ed.
  • Teaching of Languages (French) M.A.T.L.*
  • Teaching of Languages (Spanish) M.A.T.L.*
  • Teaching of Languages (TESOL) M.A.T.L.*
* do not lead to licensure in Mississippi
  • Management of Child Nutrition Programs Graduate Certificate *
  • Management of Child Nutrition Programs Undergraduate Certificate


Medical Laboratory Science: 

Medical Laboratory Science, M.S. (MS does not license MLS/MLT)


  • Nursing (Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner), M.S.N.
  • Nursing (Family Nurse Practitioner), M.S.N.

(Nursing programs require a Mississippi nursing license as a requirement of admission)



If you need assistance with professional licensure questions, fill out the Professional Licensure Form.

For questions relative to how to fill out the form, please email