Skip navigation

Computing Sciences and Computer Engineering

IT Transfer Students

When considering transferring to Southern Miss, be sure to consider the University requirements and the Program requirements.

To receive an undergraduate degree from Southern Miss, a student must satisfy a number of minimal requirements:

  1. Complete a minimum of 124 semester hours (128 hours for degree plans prior to 2006-2007)
  2. Complete a minimum of 62 semester hours at a four-year college or university (64 hours prior to 2006-2007)
  3. Complete a minimum of 45 semester hours of upper-division courses (+300)
  4. Complete a minimum of the last 32 hours at the Southern Miss campus


Why is this important?

You could transfer 150 hours from a community college, but you would still have to satisfy items 2-4.
Your could also transfer 150 hours from another University, but your would still have to satisfy at least item 4.
Also, keep in mind that these are Degree requirements, not Major requirements. Major requirements are detailed in the applicable degree plan published in the University Bulletin and as further defined on SOAR for enrolled students.


Transferring from a Mississippi Community College/Junior College

The Information Technology program has existing articulation understandings with eight of the Mississippi community colleges and junior college.

  • Copiah-Lincoln Community College
  • East Central Community College
  • Hinds Community College
  • Holmes Community College
  • Jones Junior College
  • Meridian Community College
  • Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College
  • Pearl River Community College

Articulation is limited to CNT, CPT, CST, and Electronics.

  • For students transferring with an Associate Degree in a particular field and continue in that concentration, 45-to-55 hours typically applies towards your B.S. degree.
  • For students transferring without an Associate Degree or desire to change concentrations, significantly fewer courses will apply towards your B.S. degree.


What doesn't transfer?

That depends upon the Bulletin you fall under at Southern Miss, the Associate Degree your completed and the campus at which you completed your Associate Degree.


Transferring from Other Institutions


The Information Technology program follows guidelines from the University Registrar with respect to transfer courses. Students wanting to transfer credits from another institution are evaluated independently.

Industry Certification

No academic credit is awarded for attaining industry certifications. However, on the basis of holding a current valid certification, an academic advisor may be able to waive some course pre-requisites.

Other Community Colleges

Student transcripts are evaluated individually and credit awarded as deemed appropriate by an academic advisor and the program coordinator.

Other Four-Year Colleges and Universities

Because credits from four-year institutions may satisfy additional requirements, additional transfer courses are possible. However, requirement 3 and 4 from above will likely still be an issue.

Contact Us

School of Computing Sciences and Computer Engineering

214 Bobby Chain Technology Center (TEC) 
118 College Dr. #5106
Hattiesburg, MS 39406

Campus Hattiesburg

Campus Map