Interdepartmental Invoices

In the normal course of university business, transactions will be made that do not involve outside parties. They are transactions between university departments and should be processed on interdepartmental invoices. 


When to use an interdepartmental invoice

Do use the interdepartmental invoice to 

  • process transfers of funds or reimburse expenses between budget strings
  • bill on-campus departments for goods or services (approved re-charge centers only)
  • process correction of errors in processing of original charges
  • process cost transfers on grant budgets (Fund like 16%), pending proper approval from Sponsored Program Administration (SPA)


When NOT to use an interdepartmental invoice

Do not use the interdepartmental invoice to

  • transfer funds between budget categories within the same budget string. Use a budget revision form.

(Fund codes beginning with 10, 12 or 13 – See Office of Budget & Tax Compliance; Fund codes beginning with 16 – See Sponsored Program Administration)


How do departments obtain FORMS?

How is the form used?
The department that originates the invoice obtains and completely fills out the form with the following information and forwards the form to the other department.

  • Mark the “Original” box in the top right corner of the invoice in red ink
  • Current Date
  • Department Name
  • Department PO Box & Telephone Number
  • Specific Detailed Description of item(s) or service, including dates of service
  • Amount(s) for each item or service
  • Budget strings to be charged and/or credited
  • Obtain budget authority’s signature
  • Retain copy for department records
  • Send the original to the other department.

The department receiving the invoice has the responsibility to sign and forward the invoice to the Controller’s Office within five working days. This is important because the invoice represents goods received or services rendered.

  • Obtain the budget authority's signature
  • Retain copy for department records
  • Send the original to the Controller’s Office, Box 5143

It is crucial to retain copies. Both the charged and the credited departments need to retain copies. Compare your invoice copies against the monthly budget report to verify any items posted to your department.


Invoices Involving External Grant Funds

If the invoice involves a grant (any budget string with a fund code beginning with 16), Sponsored Program Administration (SPA) must sign the invoice before it can be processed.


Account Codes 

If you need assistance, contact the Controller’s Office 601-266-4084.