Skip navigation

Office of the Controller

Payroll FAQs


The Payroll Office is located in the Office of the Controller, second floor of Bond Hall on the Hattiesburg campus. Enter Bond Hall from the parking garage side of building.

Office hours are 8:00 – 12:00 and 1:00 – 5:00 Monday – Friday.

Phone: 601-266-4084

Email: payrollFREEMississippi

Time and Attendance Reports are normally due by 5:00 the Tuesday following each biweekly payday. However, university holidays, bank holidays or financial closing schedules can cause exceptions. (See the Biweekly Pay Date Calendar here.)

Yes. Payroll accounts for all active hourly non-exempt employees.  Please submit an online time and attendance page with no hours listed.

Guidelines for many situations are covered in the Employee Handbook, available on the Human Resources website.

You must have access to SOARHR to view your paycheck. After logging in to SOARHR, use the following navigation to access a PDF file of your paycheck: Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > View Paycheck.

Make sure you allow pop-ups in your web browser.  From the web browser tool bar select:

Tools > Pop-up Blocker > Turn Off Pop-up Blocker


Pop-up Blocker Settings > Set as an allowable site.

New direct deposit setups are pre-noted, meaning verification of your bank routing number and account number is required before your direct deposit begins. Usually your first check is a physical check and all subsequent payments are directly deposited.

Direct deposit is mandatory. However, in certain cases, physical checks are issued and sent to your department’s campus mailbox on payday. While misrouted checks are infrequent, if you are unable to locate your check and your department has confirmed it is missing, you can contact Payroll. Our staff will be happy to confirm where the check was sent. If the check is not recovered, you can request that Payroll place a stop payment on the missing check and issue a replacement; a process that can take up to two business days.

Your direct deposit information is maintained by Human Resources if you are faculty/staff and Student Employment if you are a student. Contact Human Resources or Student Employment to activate or change your direct deposit information (a voided check will be required). In some instances, prenoting will be required resulting in a physical check the first time after the change.

Complete the federal or MS tax form (available on the Human Resources website under Forms, "T") and return to Human Resources if you are faculty/staff or Student Employment if you are a student.

If you are faculty/staff, your address is part of your personnel record and is maintained by Human Resources. To change your address, contact Human Resources. Students can log into SOAR and update their mailing address from the Student Center. International students need to contact the International Student and Scholar Services office.

Login to SOARHR and navigate to Self Service > USM HR/Payroll Self Service > Monthly Time and Attendance and select the appropriate time period and complete the Monthly Attendance and Leave Record.

Yes. Login to SOARHR and navigate to Self Service > USM HR/Payroll Self Service > W-2/W-2c Consent and place a check in the box then click Submit. A consent is permanent unless withdrawn.

Yes. Login to SOARHR and navigate to Self Service > USM HR/Payroll Self Service > View W-2/W-2c Forms. For the year required, click on Year End Form and the W-2 will be displayed and can be printed.

If you have access to SOARHR, you can reprint your own W-2 (see instructions listed in the answer to the previous question). If you do not have access to SOARHR, please call 601-266-4084 to request a reprint or email your request to payrollFREEMississippi, providing your name, employee ID, the tax year needed and the mailing address.

In order to calculate FICA Gross, Federal and State Taxable Gross:

PAYROLL GROSS (Total amount paid)

Less before tax deductions

Plus taxable life insurance

= FICA Gross (Box 3 and Box 5)

Box 3 Social Security wages maximum for taxes was $113,700 for 2013 and is $117,000 for 2014. Box 5 has no limit on taxable gross.

Less retirement (PERS and ORP)

Less tax sheltered annuities (403b and 457b)

= Federal Taxable Gross (Box 1) and State Taxable Gross (Box 16)


BOX 12 Consists of the following:

  • 12C, Taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000

  • 12E, Elective deferrals under a section 403(b) salary reduction agreement

  • 12G, Elective deferrals under a section 457(b) deferred compensation plan

  • 12P, Excludable moving expense reimbursement paid directly to employee (not included in boxes 1,3, or 5)

  • 12DD, Cost of employer-sponsored health coverage (employee and employer paid). The amount reported is not taxable and not included in boxes 1, 3, or 5. It is for informational purposes only.

Monthly employees’ earnings are based on a fixed amount. Any changes to that amount comes through Human Resources or Student Employment who update the monthly paid employee’s master record in SOAR from paperwork submitted by the department.

Employees who are required by their jobs to have access to run the Payroll Distribution Report must attend training, please click here and expand the Payroll Distribution Report section for more details.
That portion of group term life insurance that is taxable income to you. This amount is added to your Federal, State and Social Security taxable earnings.
Human Resources and Payroll have a listserv to share news and updates with those employees who process HR forms and payroll. The listserv is open to any employee who is interested in receiving emails on these subjects. You can go here to sign up if you are not already a member.

For the Hattiesburg Campus, Human Resources and Student Employment McLemore Hall 3rd floor.

For Gulf Park Campus, Holloway East #2.

For Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, Oceanography Building.

No. Appropriate paperwork should be submitted to Human Resources or Student Employment to terminate an employee. Graduate Assistant terminations must be routed through the Graduate School first.

BiWeekly Hourly Adjustment forms are used to correct previously submitted Time and Attendance information. Adjustments for hours submitted incorrectly, adjustments for hours omitted for a previous pay period or adjustments for incorrect rates can be reported to payroll on the Biweekly Hourly Adjustment form available on the Controller's website.
Notify your department immediately. Your department will need to correct your job record through Human Resources or Student Employment. Contact Payroll for instructions on how to repay the university. Once resolved, Payroll will reverse the payment in SOARHR, thus ensuring your W2 is correct.
Please return all checks not picked up to Payroll located in Bond Hall, second floor, Room 230. Add a note to the outside of each as to the reason for the return. Please hand deliver to eliminate the possibility of checks getting lost in the mail.

Please review the following information if contracting for personal services with a corporation:

Usually, a corporation will provide a contract for the university department to sign upon approval by the University Counsel. However, there are situations in which a contract is not signed. In these instances, a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) should be completed. The PSA serves two functions: It allows us to determine whether or not Independent Contractor status is allowable according to IRS guidelines. Also, it serves as our written contract in case of dispute over what services need to be performed. If you have any questions, please contact the Tax Compliance Officer at 601-266-4102.

Contact Us

Office of the Controller
Bond Hall 230
118 College Drive #5143
Hattiesburg, MS 39406

Hattiesburg Campus

Campus Map