HousingSmart: Next Generation - Discrimination Claim

What to do if you believe you have a discrimination claim.

How to file a 903.1 housing complaint:

  • There are 4 ways to file a housing complaint with HUD:
    • ONLINE: you can file a complaint by completing a HUD 903.1 online form
    • TELEPHONE: Call HUD toll free at: 1.800.669.9777.
    • MAIL: You can print out a form.
      • Complete the form and mail it to:
        • Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity

        Department of Housing and Urban Development
        Room 5204
        451 Seventh Street SW
        Washington, D.C. 20410-2000

  • LETTER: You can write a letter containing:
    • Your name and address
    • The name and address of the individual your complaint is about
    • The address of the house or apartment you were trying to buy or rent
    • The date when the incident occurred
    • A short description of what happened
      • Then you will mail the letter to the HUD Fair Housing Hub closest to you.
      • Mississippi Citizens mail to:
        • Atlanta Regional Office of FHEO

        U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Develop…
        Five Points Plaza
        40 Marietta Street, 16th Floor
        Atlanta, GA 30303-2806

Once the fair housing complaint is received by HUD then the Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) will investigate the complaint. If FHEO does not resolve or conciliate the complaint then FHEO will determine whether reasonable cause exists to believe that a discriminatory housing practice has occurred. If so, all parties to the complaint are notified about the issuance of a determination, a Charge of Discrimination, and a hearing is scheduled for a HUD Administrative Law Judge. At this time (once the determination of discrimination has been issued) either party to the complaint can terminate the Administrative Hearing by taking the case to Federal Court (litigation). If taken to court then the Department of Justice (DOJ) takes over HUD’s role and sees the case to its end. Either action that is taken (HUD Administrative Law Hearing or Litigation in Federal Court) is subject to review by the U.S. Court of Appeals.

*If you file a Housing Discrimination Complaint with HUD please keep a copy of the complaint, the date it was filed and acknowledgement of receipt of the complaint (from HUD) in a personal file.