HowTo - New Employee
IDS New Employee Info
If you have an idea of something that needs to be on this page, please let me know. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Obtain appointment with HR for in-processing. They will give you your employee ID called an "EmplID." It will be a W with a six digit number such as W123456. It may take a day or so for your accounts to be registered in the system. Once they are registered, your SOAR account (Employee and Student access to the University) and email will be ready to use.
- See Rich Baker, 6-6288, room 441 about getting a computer, establishing your email account, getting an office phone, and taking your staff mug shot.
- See Billy Tala, 6-5739, room 439 about pay issues and establishing a long distance charge code.
Supplies and Equipment:
- If you need typical office supplies, check with the front office to see if we have it in stock.
- To order supplies, route the requirement through your program coordinator. The coordinator will check with Billy to see about funding then make the order.
- To order electronic equipment or software, tell Rich what the requirements are and let him do the research. Once the equipment is selected, Rich will coordinate with your director and Billy to see if we can order the item for you.
- What is it? SOAR is a portal for employees of USM used to do many functions. The most important function for you right now is probably your "Time and Attendance" reporting and your pay. Once you have your "W######" EmplID (pronounced "imp el eye dee" and password, you will be able to access the system.
- USM provides all typical software for your office computer and for your home computer. As a staff member you may user your EmplID to download and install these items. Depending on the status of current contracts with various vendors, the latest versions of MS Windows and MS Office are often free for your home computer. See http://www.usm.edu/itech/software-downloads-and-purchases for a list of all software available.
- Please do not install or use iTunes, Quicktime, or AOL on your USM owned computer.
- Avoid accepting the popular search bars for browsers. All of these items take up space on your screen, will cause your computer to run slower, and attract malware.
- For Hattiesburg staff, see Billy to order your office key. Your key will open your office door, the mailroom door, and both hallway doors including the stairwell door by the elevator (never locked), and the stairwell door at the east and west ends of the hall.
- For Jackson staff, see Gloria Wesley.
- For TLC staff, see Ashley Nicole Flowers.
- To obtain access to Hattiesburg, Bond Hall via the southwest corner stairwell and the entrance under the canopy, call iTech at 601.266.4190. You will probably be instructed to send an email and provide your EmplID (w######), your name, and what doors you will need access to for IDS.
- Caution, if you will be working after 5:00 PM, carry your keys with you. The doors at each hallway entrance are locked. Take your keys with you.
- IDS a shared Google Calendar found at http://calendar.google.com.
- Username: usmids
- Password: (see Rich Baker)
- Use the calendar to reserve presentation equipment, show project activities, reserve IDS Library, and announce your personal vacation times. Please see the Rich on how to use the calendar properly.
- Please use the forms and procedures found on USM's travel site at http://www.usm.edu/procurement/travel.html. Download the appropriate form to your hard drive, fill it out, save it, then print it out. Place a signed copy into Billy's mail box.
- To make new publications such as brochures in Hattiesburg, see Alma Ellis in Jackson.
- To request a display board, post the request on the Equipment calendar on the IDS Calendar (see above) and send an email to email@example.com.
- Contact Dr. Mina Li about NIRS data training and inputs.
- Student workers are typically available to assist with copying, filing, etc. Please check with the front office for availability.
USM Talk is a listserv for employees of USM where you can voice concerns or even post personal items for sale. To subscribe or unsubscribe visit https://mailman.usm.edu/mailman/listinfo/usmtalk.
- The program coordinator is responsible to obtain photo/video documentation of your program. We have cameras available for you to check out from our Tech Support Rich Baker.
- You are responsible to obtain a photo/video release from the subjects. Often it is good practice to place the photo/video release as the documention on a sign-in form.
- Upon request, Rich will be glad to come to your event and take photo/video.
- Video projects take a considerable amount of planning however can yield years of benefit. Talk to Rich about your projects. Here are some issues to consider before talking with him:
- Desired length
- Amount of time allowed to create
- Photo/Video releases
- Target audience and delivery venue
- Background music
- Desired testing capability and reporting of results
- Tracking of usage
For an existing page:
Send an email to Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org containing:
- URL of the page to be updated
- information about the update
- Bad example:
"Rich, please put this on the site." (Don't laugh, I get this ALL THE TIME.)
- Good example:
"Rich, on http://www.usm.edu/disability-studies/someprogram/someexactpage please replace para 3 with the para below:
Bla bla bla. Here’s an example paragraph to be loaded on my site. Bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda. Bla bla bla. Here’s an example paragraph to be loaded on my site. Bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda. Bla bla bla. Here’s an example paragraph to be loaded on my site. Bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda. Bla bla bla. Here’s an example paragraph to be loaded on my site. Bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda. Bla bla bla. Here’s an example paragraph to be loaded on my site. Bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda. Bla bla bla. Here’s an example paragraph to be loaded on my site. Bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda."
For a new page or extensive updates to an existing page:
- Send an email to Rich explaining which program the page will go with/under and the name of the program.
- Attach a word document formatted so the page name is in the first line on the upper left of the document on each page.
- Do not include photos on the initial construction of the site. Once the site/page is established, send Rich an email with the images and describing where each one should be placed.
- Rich will try and send you a message as each phase is complete.
- If you need your telephone or network connection moved, let IDS Tech Coordinator, Rich Baker 6-6288 know. He will need your room number, number on the phone, and network recepticals you need moved from and to.
- We are now installing MS Outlook 2010 or 2013. It may ask you for a user name and password; use the following format for your user name: usm\w###### (where your EmplID is the ######).
- You can access your paycheck and other personnel items via https://soar.usm.edu.
- To access your email while away from your computer or even the campus, you can access your email on any computer on the web at http://golden.usm.edu.