The teacher candidacy experience consists of two separate six-hour courses. Each six-hour course represents a student teaching placement in a K-12 school. A University Supervisor and a Cooperating Teacher are assigned to each candidate for each course. Educational Field Experiences strives to place students within a 60 mile radius from campus. Requests for placements beyond the 60 mile radius are considered by the Directors, when an additional application is submitted.
1. Teacher Candidates
- Get the Teacher Candidate Agreement Form at one the Teacher Candidacy Preparation Workshops held in the 2nd and 3rd week of the semester prior to teacher candidacy semester.
- Get requested signatures on Teacher Candidate Agreement form and return to EFE by the end of October for Spring candidates and by the end of February for Fall candidates.
- Using Tk20, complete application to begin Teacher candidacy by October 15th for Spring candidates and by February 15th for Fall candidates.
- Enroll with The University of Southern Mississippi for semester of final field experience.
2. Teacher Candidates
- Contact school administration upon notification of placement.
- Prepare for teacher candidacy responsibilities.