1. Who may apply for ELI enrollment?

  • Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
  • Non-resident applicants must apply for an F-1 visa.  Individuals who come to the United States on B-1/B-2 visas may not study full-time.
  • Students already in the United States who have F-1 visas and are studying in another intensive English program may apply for Transfer to the ELI.
  • Legal Permanent Residents in the United States and US citizens who are not native-English speakers are welcome to apply for enrollment.


2. Calendar


ELI has three semester-length terms per year. Each semester is approximately 15 calendar weeks long. New students are welcome at the beginning of each term.

Semester Dates

FallAugust 27 - December 7, 2018
SpringJanuary 14 - May 3, 2019
SummerMay 13- August 16, 2019

 Application Deadlines

FallJune 1
SpringNovember 1
Summer April 1

3. Costs

We estimate the cost of living in Hattiesburg and studying at the ELI for one semester to be approximately $10,700.  This does not include travel to and from Hattiesburg, the fees associated with your F-1 visa application,  personal/incidental expenses during the ELI term, or housing and food costs during semester breaks and vacation periods when dormitories and cafeteria are closed. 

One-time fees

$50.00ELI Application Fee, nonrefundable, payable at the time of application
$80.00Chest X-ray, administered at Southern Miss Clinic during Registration of your first term of enrollment; mandated by state law
$120.00T-Spot blood test, administered at Southern Miss Clinic during Registration of your first term of enrollment; mandated by state law
MMR injections (2 @ 70.00), administered at Southern Miss Clinic during your first term of enrollment; mandated by state law.
This requirement can be waived if you submit documentation verifying 2 MMRs since your first birthday.

Fees for each semester

$4,500.00ELI Tuition
$500.00Fees(Includes ELI, University, and Textbook fees)
$800.00Health Insurance Estimate
$75.00Residence Life Application Processing Fee, nonrefundable, charged each semester to dormitory residents
$2,964.00Dormitory Charge
$1,900.00Unlimited Meal Plan, required of all dormitory residents
$20.00Campus Post Office box rental, required of all dormitory residents

Note:   Costs are subject to change without notice.

 4. How can I apply?

  • Download and print the ELI application form.  Complete and sign the form.
  • Submit financial support documentation. If you are self-sponsored, then we need your most recent three months of monthly bank statements.  If someone else is your financial sponsor (family member, friend…), then we need that person’s most recent three months of monthly bank statements.  The statements must show a minimum amount of $22,500 on deposit and immediately available.  In other words, the funds cannot be encumbered in a Certificate of Deposit, a Money Market Account, or a Savings Account with a future maturity date.  The funds must be available for immediate withdrawal upon demand by the account-holder. 
  • If you want to live in a campus dormitory, print out and complete the Residence Life Application form.
  • In addition to your application documents, send payment for the following:
    • $50 ELI Application Fee (non-refundable)
    • $100 ELI Fee Deposit (will be applied to your charges for your first term in ELI)
    • $75 Residence Life Application Processing Fee (non-refundable; include this fee only if you are applying for a dormitory room assignment)
    • All fees may be paid by one money order or one cashier’s check or by credit card.  The Credit Card Payment Form is available here.
  • Send a photocopy of your passport photo page.
  • Send your complete application package to the ELI by regular mail, express mail, fax, or by email.           

5. When your application package is received by the ELI....

When your application package is received by the ELI, we will send an I-20 and instructions to help you apply for an F-1 visa at an American Consulate in your home country.  Do not make travel plans until your visa application has been approved.

6. Can I transfer to the ELI from another intensive English program in the United States?

Yes, you can.  Download and print out the Transfer to the ELI Form.  Complete the top portion and then take it to your immigration advisor at your current school.  Your advisor must complete the bottom portion of the form and return it to the ELI. 

You should also complete the ELI Application Form and other requirements listed above (“How can I apply?”).  We will communicate with you to coordinate the transfer of your SEVIS record from your current school to the ELI.

7. Financial aid

The English Language Institute is a self-supporting auxiliary department, and as such we do not offer scholarships or other financial aid.  Here are links to online resources which offer recommendations on financing your U.S. studies:

Study USA Resources 

Study Abroad Handbook