Health Insurance

1.  Is health insurance required for all ELI students?

  • All F-1 visa holding students are required by The University of Southern Mississippi to have medical insurance.

2.  I already have medical insurance.  Do I have to buy another policy?

  • Not necessarily.  You will be asked to show your insurance documents when you register for school.  If your policy cannot meet these requirements, then you will be required to purchase insurance during Registration:
  • Your company must have a claims office in the United States.
  • Your policy documents must be printed in English.
  • Your company’s coverage must be equal to or better than the coverage offered by the university’s insurance company.

3.  But I never get sick!  I don’t want to buy insurance.

  • You will be required at Registration to show proof of effective medical insurance. Your registration will not be complete until you have complied with this requirement. Medical treatment in the United States can be very expensive; without adequate insurance, you may incur medical bills that you cannot pay.

4.  Okay, I’ll either bring insurance from home or buy the policy offered by Southern Miss.  How do I know which one is better?

  • That is a good question. You should compare plans before making a decision.  Click here to see a summary of coverage under the Southern Miss plan.

5.  Are there any other requirements I should know about?

  • Yes, there are two additional health requirements:
  • Mississippi state law requires students to receive a chest x-ray as part of the school registration process.  Students are not permitted to provide their own x-ray films.  The cost of the x-ray at the University Health Clinic is $80.
  • Mississippi state law also requires all students to be inoculated against measles, mumps, and rubella.  If you cannot show proof of having received 2 MMR injections previously, since your first birthday, then you must receive the injections after arriving on campus.  Cost:  $70 per injection.

6.  Okay, so far we have insurance, chest x-ray, and MMR injections.  Is there anything else that I should know about before traveling to the United States?

  • If you have allergies or require certain prescription medication, it would be a good idea to bring English translations of your specific medical situation.