Where is Hattiesburg?
Hattiesburg, a safe, friendly Southern city of almost 50,000 people, is located in
South-Central Mississippi on Highway 49 and on Interstate Highway 59. The city’s
nickname is “The Hub City” because it is surrounded by several cities in the surrounding
- Jackson, Mississippi – the state capital – approximately 90 miles north on Hwy 49
- Gulfport, Mississippi – the Gulf Coast – approximately 70 miles south on Hwy 49, on
the Gulf of Mexico
- New Orleans, Louisiana – approximately 125 miles southwest on Interstate 59/Interstate
- Mobile, Alabama – approximately 100 miles southeast on Hwy 98, on the Gulf of Mexico
- Natchez and Vicksburg, Mississippi – approximately 150 miles west, on the Mississippi
- Birmingham, Alabama – approximately 250 miles northeast
- Memphis, Tennessee – approximately 300 miles north
What is the weather like in Hattiesburg?
The climate is mild. You will need a jacket or sweater in winter (December – February),
but it almost never snows in South Mississippi! Rain and high humidity, however,
are common throughout the year.
- Summer (June, July, August): hot and humid – average temp 27-28 degrees C.
- Winter (December, January, February): cold at night and cool in the daytime – average
temp 0-15 degrees C.
- Spring (March, April, May) and Fall (September, October, November): pleasant – average
temp 15-27 degrees C.
How can I travel to Hattiesburg?
- by car:
- driving time from Gulfport: 1.0-1.5 hours
- driving time from Jackson: 1.5-2.0 hours
- driving time from New Orleans: 1.5-2.0 hours
- by airplane:
- Gulfport/Biloxi Regional Airport (GPT) – 60 miles from campus
- Jackson International Airport (JAN) – 90 miles from campus
- New Orleans International Airport (MSY) – 125 miles from campus
- Pine Belt Regional Airport (PIB) – 10 miles from campus
- by train: There is an AMTRAK station in downtown Hattiesburg, a 15-minute drive to
the Southern Miss campus.
- by bus: There is a Greyhound Bus station on Highway 49 north, a 10-20-minute drive
to the campus.
Will the ELI meet me at the airport, the train station, or the bus station?
Yes, we can do that! We will meet you at the airport (MSY, GPT, JAN, or PIB), the
AMTRAK depot, or the bus station and will help you check into the dormitory, or we
can deliver you to a local hotel.
Please tell us in advance if you want the ELI Shuttle Service. We need at least a
week’s notice…Please communicate with our office before you confirm your travel reservations so that we can help you make your plans. Campus dormitories and food service facilities open only a few days before a term
begins. If you arrive too early, you will have to stay in a local hotel until the
dormitories open. Please remember to check with us before you make your travel reservations.