Graduate Application Checklist
Only complete applications will be reviewed by the admissions committee. Please ensure that all of the following materials are uploaded to the Graduate School application server.
- Application. Your official application must be submitted electronically via the Graduate School. (Please note that applicants to the combined MA/PhD program in literature should apply to the doctoral program.) All applications must be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee, which can be paid electronically by credit card when you submit your application, or which you can mail directly to the Office of Graduate admissions at the address below.
- GRE Scores. Please have GRE scores sent to the University of Southern Mississippi--Hattiesburg. Our school code is 1479.
- Official Transcripts. Please have transcripts sent to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive #5024
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001
Please note that all transcripts from all colleges or universities you have attended are required, not just the most recent transcripts. Please also inform the Graduate School if you have changed your name since you attended college, as transcripts which arrive under a maiden or other name may not be filed correctly and may significantly delay processing of your application. If you have further questions, please contact Graduate Admissions at 601-266-5137.
- Writing Sample. Applicants to the literature program should send 15-20 pages of substantial scholarly writing. Applicants to the creative writing program should send 15-20 pages of fiction or poetry.
- Statement of Purpose. Please write a 350-750 word statement of purpose indicating your scholarly or creative goals for graduate study. Your statement should highlight your particular academic or creative interests and accomplishments and/or other relevant preparation.
Letters of Recommendation. Three letters of recommendation from people who are acquainted with your academic record are required for admission. When you fill out the names and email addresses of your recommenders as part of your online application, they will be sent an email directing them how to submit the letters.