Latin Honors Designation at Graduation
There are two ways a student with a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or above can be awarded degrees with Latin Honors designation.
1. Complete the requirements for Senior Honors in the Honors College.
2. Complete all departmental requirements for Honors designation noted below and file for Alternate Honors Designation one calendar year prior to graduation or no later than the deadline for filing the degree application for graduation. To file for Alternate Honors Designation, an “Application for a Degree with Latin Honors Designation” will be submitted to the Department Chair or Director of Undergraduate Studies.
Departmental Requirements for Latin Honors Designation:
- Student will achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.25-3.49 for Cum Laude, 3.50-3.79 for Magna Cum Laude, or 3.80 or above for Summa Cum Laude.
- Student will complete a Senior Project under the supervision of a faculty member, who will evaluate the satisfactory completion of the project. The student may complete the project by registering for 3 hours of ENG 492 during the semester in which the project is undertaken and completed.
- Student will take and pass a comprehensive exam in the major field. The exam will be administered by the department typically during the final semester of coursework.
- Both the project and the exam must be completed and results accepted by the Department Chair or Director of Undergraduate Studies no later than 4 (fours) weeks before graduation.
*Please note that undergraduate students who do not participate in the Honors College can obtain Honors designation with a USM cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or more, or Highest Honors with a USM cumulative grade point average of 3.8 or more.