ESL Endorsement for Mississippi Teachers (12 semester hours)
- The following program of study leads to the add-on Endorsement in English as a Second Language (ESL) in the state of Mississippi:
FL 561 Teaching Second Languages: Theory into Practice
FL 663 Applied Linguistics in Second and Foreign Languages
FL 664 Second Language Acquisition Theory and Practice
FL 665 Sociocultural and Sociolinguistic Perspectives in Language
-OR- CIE 600 Foundations of Multicultural Education
- This endorsement is added to a regular or alternate state teaching license. In order to complete this endorsement, students will enroll as a non-degree student, and they must mail proof of a Mississippi Teaching License to the department.
- Students must fill out and mail to the department the non-degree approval form for every course taken each semester the courses are offered. Six semester hours of endorsement courses are offered per semester, 3 semester hours online and 3 semester hours in class. Click on the Course Offerings menu link to see which courses are available.
- Courses for ESL endorsement can count towards the Master of Arts in the Teaching of Languages (TESOL emphasis) degree at USM but students must declare their intent to do the MATL before the completion of 9 endorsement hours.
- Teachers from other states need to check with their respective state departments of education as to the requirements for an ESL endorsement.