Non-degree Enrollment

Non-degree graduate students must have the permission of the chair of the department offering the course and the Graduate School to register for any graduate course. In addition, all non-degree students must inform the department’s graduate director of their intentions to take courses as a non-degree student. No more than nine (9) credit hours earned while classified as a non-degree graduate student are accepted toward the degree. A student must, therefore, gain conditional or regular admission before completing more than nine (9) credit hours of study for additional hours to be counted. It is possible to begin studies as a non-degree student and then gain admission to the program during that initial semester; course work for that semester would then be considered degree work even though it was begun in non-degree status. It is therefore most advisable to gain admission to the program in order to have a maximum of six (6) hours of transfer credit. If one finishes the first semester still in non-degree status, restrictions may be placed on the number of transfer hours that can be applied to the MATL.

If you do not have a degree in Spanish or French, then you would need to qualify for graduate level courses by either taking more courses at the undergraduate level (typically the equivalent of 30 credit hours) or by taking the Official ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview and scoring in the advanced range. Click here for more information about the ACTFL OPI Test. A copy of the test results needs to be sent to the department. If you plan to take courses in the TESOL program as a non-degree student and are an international student, you must submit a TOEFL score with your enrollment forms, along with a degree transcript. See regular admission information for international students on this site for test score range.

All students seeking the TESOL Certificate or the ESL Endorsement as certified by the Mississippi Department of Education will enroll as non-degree students and must complete this paper work for all courses in the endorsement or certificate as specified.

In order to take a course as a non-degree student at the University of Southern Mississippi, you will need to pay an application fee by applying to the university as a non-degree student but not necessarily to the MATL program. On the Graduate School website, you will go to the Non-Degree Seeking page of the Graduate School's website. The department will need a copy of your degree transcript. If you have questions about this process, please call the Graduate School at 601-266-5137.

Our full-time degree-seeking students will have priority enrollment in our courses but we often have room for non-degree students in our courses.