Apply to Graduate School
As a Carnegie Doctoral Research Extensive institution, the Southern Miss Graduate School offers nearly 75 different certificate, master's, specialist's, and doctoral degree programs through the Colleges of Arts and Letters, Business, Education and Psychology, Health, Nursing, and Science and Technology.
PLEASE READ. We are currently in the process of moving to a new application processing system. If you have an application in progress for fall 2016 or spring 2017, you must complete your application by July 31, 2016. To have a complete application you must have submitted all required documents and paid the application fee. Applications that are not completed by July 31 will require you to complete a new application and submit required documents using the new system beginning August 1, 2016.
If you are planning to enter graduate school after spring 2017, you must submit your application using the new system beginning August 1, 2016.We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to you becoming a part of the Southern Miss Community.
- Application for Graduate Admissions * (Use this link for NEW regular, non degree, and certificate program applications) - See below for info on application fee waivers and decisions.
- Request for Deferral of Admissions (use this form in the event you need to delay your start term)
- Readmission Application
- Contact Graduate Admissions
- Educational Testing Service (ETS)
- Graduate Certificate Programs (Documents required for processing: Application, official transcripts from all schools attended, Immunization Records, and payment of application fee)
- Graduate Degree Programs
- Graduate Degree Programs, Contacts, and Deadlines
- Out of Career Coursework Form
- When Fees Apply
- Plans of Study: Master's, Doctoral, Specialist, or Certificate
- Tuition & Fees
- Limitations on University of Southern Mississippi Faculty Members
*All fees are non-refundable.
Note: Questions regarding financial aid availability for students only seeking a certificate program or applying as non-degree should be directed to Financial Aid as financial aid restrictions may apply.
Application Fee Waiver: Application fee waiver requests are available for three groups of domestic applicants. When completing the online application, please fill out the Application Fee Waiver Request Form. Your application will remain on file and unprocessed, pending receipt of required documentation and a formal decision is made. Upon receipt of the request, the Admissions Office will review your materials and mark your application as “paid” or contact you via email for additional information/payment. Fee waiver requests must be received before the program application deadline for any application to be considered.
- Full-time permanent employees of The University of Southern Mississippi. The Graduate School will verify employment; therefore, no documents are required.
- Current or former participants in the McNair Scholars program. A letter from your McNair Scholars Coordinator is required.
- Active member, reservist, or veteran of the U.S. armed services. A copy of current orders or DD-214 is required.
Admission decisions are made by the academic unit. Therefore, the Graduate School is unable to disclose to an applicant reasons for admission denial. Applicants can submit a signed, written request (request cannot be accepted by email or phone) to the Graduate School inquiring how they might improve their application for possible future admissions. All request will be forwarded to the academic department; however, departments may or may not choose to disclose this information to the applicant. Written requests should be mailed to:
Attention: Director of Graduate Operations & Recruitment
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive #5024
Hattiesburg, MS 39406