The deadline to apply is June 5, 2019 at 5 pm!
Applications are solicited for Graduate Competitive Travel Awards (GCTA) to support
graduate student travel to national or international-level conferences, exhibitions,
or other appropriate venues to present research papers, creative works, or to perform
as a part of their graduate program. Applicants may request up to $500 for domestic
travel or up to $1000 for international travel (outside continental U.S.). Some level
of funding by the student’s school or college is expected if GCTA funds are awarded.
All travel must adhere to USM travel policies and procedures. Travel awards will be
transferred to the student’s department by interdepartmental transfer and designated
for the student’s use only. Prior to travel the student must complete a Permission
to Travel (PTT) form and obtain approval from the director of school. If travel is
outside the continental U.S., the PTT form must be submitted no later than 90 days
prior to travel. The student will seek either a travel advance or travel reimbursement
through the school. Following travel, the student must submit a travel voucher. Click here for more information on university travel procedures.
- Eligible applicants must be regular-status, continuing master’s, specialist, or doctoral
students in good academic standing. Non-degree, conditional, or probationary status
students may not apply.
- The applicant must be enrolled during the semester the application is submitted and
during the semester of travel (excluding summer). A funded applicant cannot receive
the award if he/she graduates prior to the dates of travel.
- A student is limited to one application per funding period. A student may receive
only one travel award per academic year.
The application must include:
- Detailed statement (maximum 1 page) written by the student describing the nature of
the conference/event and the potential impact of attendance on the student’s professional
- Supporting letter from the student’s major professor or director that affirms the
caliber of the conference/event (national or international-level), confirms the eligibility
of the student, and verifies that some level of funds will be provided by the academic
unit to support the applicant’s additional allowable travel expenses.
- Copy of submitted abstract, conference proposal, artist statement, etc. of presentation
- Documentation of acceptance of entry from conference organizer if available. (If notification
has not been received at time application is submitted, then it must be submitted
prior to travel).
- Budget itemizing travel expenses and indicating the amount of requested funds.
Contact Lindsey Jones at (601) 266-6567 or lindsey.garrityFREEMississippi with questions.