Theses, Dissertations and Nursing Capstone Projects
Graduate students who plan to write a master’s thesis, doctoral dissertation or doctoral nursing capstone project need to take note of the following:
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for more information.
- Adhere to the published deadlines. Deadlines represent the last day to complete each task; students are encouraged to complete tasks as soon as possible.
- Complete the Contact Graduate Reviewer form.
- Submit an Application for Degree to the Degree Auditor in the Graduate School with receipt of payment. Be sure to enroll in the appropriate number of thesis, dissertation or nursing capstone hours. If you have questions concerning the number of hours needed, please contact the Degree Auditor or your Advisor.
- Submit the Graduate Committee Request form to the Graduate School no later than the semester the proposal is defended (the proposal must be defended at least one semester before the defense of the thesis/dissertation/capstone). Title pages will not be approved without the committee form. In the event there are committee changes, please submit a new committee form to the Graduate School.
- Submit the title page for approval. Use one of the two templates below and email the Word file to the Reviewer for approval. The Reviewer will provide you with an approved title page along with instructions for use. Only the approved title page should be used at the defense.
Title pages are not to be created until you have read the instructions for using the title page template. Do not alter the template.
TITLE PAGE TEMPLATE AND GUIDELINES
- Submit your title page to the Reviewer for approval by or before the published deadline.
- Go to Step 1 and read the instructions and then use one of the title page templates to create the title page.
THESIS, DISSERTATION AND NURSING CAPSTONE PROJECT TEMPLATES AND GUIDELINES
As you write and prepare your thesis, dissertation, or nursing capstone project make sure that you are formatting as required by the USM Guidelines. Read the guidelines and the instructions for using the templates in Step 2 before using any of the templates.
Contact the reviewer by email to schedule a template lesson in person or via screen share.
Doctoral candidates are required to attend commencement unless excused by the Dean of the Graduate School
Master's and doctoral candidates should reserve a seat for participation in commencement using the online form during their final semester.
Prior to commencement, the Reviewer will send additional information to doctoral candidates regarding line-up procedures. All other graduate candidates will be contacted by the Registrar’s Office.
Additional information about commencement can be found at the commencement webpage.