Tourism B.S.B.A. - Casino and Resort Management
Southern Miss was the first university in the state of Mississippi officially designated by the state Institutes of Higher Learning to offer this major, and even today is one of very few with the program.
The Casino Resort Management major develops decision-making, financial, and strategic management skills appropriate for careers in the casino and resort industries. Students develop an understanding of the stakeholders and industry practices necessary for success in entry-level managerial positions in the gaming industry or other general business sectors.
Based on the Mississippi Gulf Coast with its exciting array of tourism attractions, the Casino and Resort program is flexible enough for working students to earn a degree. It’s the answer for employees currently in the casino industry who need the educational credentials to advance to executive level positions.
As long as there are leisure and business travelers, there will be a vibrant hospitality industry. Even during recessionary periods, there are travelers and therefore jobs for those who have a passion for people and service, which are at the core of this industry.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of industry concepts, terminology, and use in appropriate industry context.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the internal dynamics and decision management process in the tourism industry.
- Students will demonstrate understanding, concepts, and applications of how different stakeholder groups interact with the industry.
- Students will be able to apply and understand financial concepts commonly used in business and specific to the tourism management industry.
- Students will understand the importance of strategic management and the role of management in organization and as a result, be prepared for a career in management.
- Convention industry resorts