The vision of the Southern Miss College of Nursing is to excel in baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral education, innovative clinical practice, and the creative use of technology to advance nursing practice, education, and scholarship.
The mission of Southern Miss College of Nursing is to enhance the health and well-being of the people of the state of Mississippi by preparing graduates at the baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral level of education who are prepared to advance the profession of nursing through education, scholarship, and service.
- The College of Nursing as one of five Academic Colleges is a significant contributor to the academic mission The University of Southern Mississippi.
- The University of Southern Mississippi is a dual campus; therefore, the College of Nursing has programs at both the Hattiesburg and Gulf Coast campus.
- The College of Nursing offers nursing programs that are responsive to the nursing workforce needs.
- Offering the Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing and the Doctor of Nursing Practice programs, the College of Nursing fosters the advancement of nursing knowledge through research, scholarship, and practice.
- The College of Nursing offers the only Nurse Anesthesia Program in the state.
- The College of Nursing is a signature program at The University of Southern Mississippi.
- Since fiscal resources are limited, the College of Nursing must leverage and redirect resources to implement its mission and vision.
Implement the Veterans Pathway to Bachelor of Science program
Implement the BSN to DNP Leadership program
Implement on the coast campus, twice a year admission to the BSN program.
Execute pedagogies supporting active learning and clinical decision making competencies
Become a Simulation Center of Excellence
Track and improve academic outcomes
Recruit academically talented students
Develop and implement a plan of retention
II. Intensify the Quantity and Quality of Research and Scholarship
Increase the number of publications
Foster circles of research and scholarship
Increase the number of external research and program grants submitted
Intensify undergraduate and graduate faculty and student research
Collaborate with other disciplines in research efforts
Increase research presentations at professional meetings
Fully implement the shared governance model
Explore development of a faculty advisory council
Explore development of a student council
Fully implement the staff council
Continue to develop guidelines and policies for department governance
Provide faculty and staff development activities
IV. Provide Sound Financial, Physical Resources, and Human Capital
Build a strategic plan to maximize enrollment and minimizing cost of instruction
Develop a sustainable financial strategic plan with an emphasis on increasing external funding
Recruit qualified promising tenure track and clinical faculty
Continue the building of the Asbury Hall
Renovate the nursing building on the coast campus
V. Enhance Strategic Communication and Outreach Engagement.
Design a new marketing tag and strategy
Systematically identify and track outreach activities
Develop collaborative relationships in education, practice, and business.
Expand scope of involvement with potential and existing donors
Enhance CON involvement with coast community and businesses