Chapter 33 - Transfer of Entitlement (TOE)

Chapter 33 - Transfer of Entitlement (TOE)


Veterans who qualify for Chapter 33 and who were members of the Armed Forces as of August 1, 2009, and are still members may elect to transfer all or part of their educational benefits to a spouse and/or their children.  A family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits, at the time of transfer to receive transferred educational benefits.

The veteran must have served 6 years as of the date of election and agree to serve an additional 4 years to transfer benefits to a spouse.

To transfer to a child, the child must be under 18, or, before their 23rd birthday if the child is in school.  The veteran must have completed at least 10 years of service before the child can use the benefit.

New Students:    Eligible service members may make transfer designation at at the transfer education benefits link. After the service-member has designated the recipient(s) and approval is granted by Department of Defense, then the recipient(s) must apply using VA Form 22-1990e.

Transfer Students:    VA Form 22-1995.  On the form it must be noted if the student is a dependent or the veteran.


22-1990e  Electronic Version

22-1990e_Printable Version

22-1995   Electronic Version

22-1995_ Printable Version