Faculty Information

Information for Southern Miss Faculty

The Southern Miss Office of Financial Aid commends you for partnering with us to provide students with an excellent academic environment. Whether working with undergraduate or graduate students, we hope the following information regarding our services will be beneficial to you.


Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the recipient's course of study. Typical award amount at Southern Miss is between $800 - $4000 for undergraduate students and $1,800 - $6,000 for graduate students. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine if they are eligible for Federal Work-Study. Information regarding hiring a work-study student or posting a work-study job can be obtained from either the Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs on the Gulf Park campus or from the Southern Miss Office of Student Employment.


Unofficial Withdrawals

Upon receipt of federal financial aid assistance to attend The University of Southern Mississippi, federal regulations require a student to attend class through the 60% point of an applicable enrollment period in order to earn the federal financial aid assistance that was awarded for that enrollment period. If the student attended at least one class beyond the 60% date in which a failing or incomplete grade was received or for which no grade was recorded, the student must obtain written documentation from the instructor confirming the student's class attendance. The instructor must sign and submit the documentation to the Office of Financial Aid.


Scholarship Authorization Form