Military Residency Exception

Amendment to the USM Military Out-of-State Exception Policy

Military-Eligible applicants who are engaged in or honorably discharged from active duty in the United States Armed Services including academically eligible current or surviving spouse and dependent children, including stepchildren, would receive an exception of the non-resident surcharge.

Students who qualify for an exception of the non-resident surcharge should:

  • Complete the Veteran, Service-Member, Dependent, Spouse Non-resident Tuition Exception (PDF)
  • Print the form
  • Sign and date the form
  • If the applicant is a spouse or dependent using transfer of entitlement benefits, the form must be signed by the appropriate veteran or service member
  • Secure the required documentation
  • Submit the completed form and required documentation to the Office of Veteran's Affairs

The University of Southern Mississippi
Gulf Park Campus
Office of Veterans Affairs
730 East Beach Blvd.
Long Beach, MS 39560

For more information, call 228.214.3244 or email