Veterans Affairs

active duty military

The Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs provides assistance to veterans and dependents of eligible veterans that will enable them to derive the maximum benefit from their veterans' educational entitlement.  Specific services provided by the office include advance pay processing, tutorial assistance, Veterans Administration (VA) work-study, and enrollment certification.  All Southern Miss Gulf Coast academic programs and course work are approved by the State Veterans Affairs Approving Agency for Veterans' Education and Training.

Yellow Ribbon

The University participates in the Post 9/11 Yellow Ribbon Program. Chapter 33 participants who are charged out-of-state fees may qualify for benefits through the Yellow Ribbon Program. Funding is based on a limited number of Yellow Ribbon recipients; therefore, benefits are awarded on a first come-first served basis via email. For additional information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs.


The VA has created a website to assist the veterans with applications and monitoring their VA benefits be they educational or other benefits related to their service. We encourage you to register for ebenefits at It is strongly suggested you take the few extra minutes to create a premium account as this account will enhance access to more of your VA information.

How to Apply Online and Request a DD-214

Online applications are available on VONAPP through ebenefits.  Should you need to apply for a duplicate DD-214 (Member 4 copy preferred) you may do so here.

Initial applicants will receive a Certificate of Eligibility.  Once you have completed the appropriate application online, you must submit a copy to our office as the VA does not notify us of new applicants.  In addition, you must be admitted as a regular degree-seeking student or in an approved certification program, and have declared a major.  (General Studies is not acceptable.)

VA Advisement Form

Students must have their advisor complete and sign the VA_Advisement_Form before their enrollments can be certified with the VA.

VA Permission Letter

Students who wish to use their VA educational benefits while concurrently enrolled at Southern Miss and another institution should complete the VA Permission Letter and return to our office once the advisor has signed the form.  If you have any questions, please contact our office.

Information on the various VA Educational Benefits can be found below. 

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill®

Chapter 31 - Disabled Veterans

Chapter 32 - Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11

Chapter 33 - Transfer of Entitlement (TOE)

Chapter 33 - Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Chapter 33 - Yellow Ribbon

Chapter 34 - Old Montgomery GI Bill®

Chapter 35 - Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA)

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve

Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)


The University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Coast
Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs
730 East Beach Blvd.
Long Beach, MS 39560
(228) 214.3244

Physical Location:
Hardy Hall, Room 230
Gulf Park Campus
Long Beach, MS

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website