About Southern Connection Leadership Team
Want to engage in student activities that develop your leadership skills?
The Southern Connection Student Leadership Team is the perfect opportunity for you! It provides various activities for students to learn more about leadership and develop their personal leadership style.
The team is a diverse group of students leaders selected to serve as the host group for Gold Rush, our summer orientation and registration days. They also serve as leadership ambassadors for university events, including commencement and Welcome Week. The team consists of 12 members and are selected in the spring semester.
Southern Connection student leaders have:
- Strong leadership and communication skills;
- A desire to help new and returning students;
- Creativity and commitment;
- And a Southern Miss spirit!
Southern Connection responsibilities include:
- Serving as student leadership ambassadors for Southern Miss Gulf Park;
- Serving as host group for University events;
- Actively participating in Welcome Week activities;
- Promoting and assisting in the planning of campus events;
- Serving as orientation leaders for Gold Rush Orientation and Registration (Summer 2016);
- Leading small group sessions with new students
- Acquainting new students to Southern Miss traditions, student services information, campus environments, activities, and facilities;
- Exhibiting a strong general knowledge of University policies and procedures, Division of Student Affairs procedures, academic information, campus activities as well as history and traditions of the University;
- And attending monthly meetings and leadership retreat.
Southern Connection qualifications:
- Currently enrolled, full- or part-time (at least 6 hours), degree-seeking graduate or undergraduate student at Southern Miss Gulf Park.
- Must possess a 2.25 cumulative GPA (non-rounded) at Southern Miss and must maintain a 2.25 GPA during their tenure on the Southern Connection Student Leadership Team. Transfer GPA requirement is also 2.25 cumulative (non-rounded).
- Student leaders must remain in good academic standing and judicial standing with the University;must not violate the Student Code of Conduct and/or Academic Integrity Policy, and conduct themselves in an appropriate manner both in person and in social media outlets (myspace.com, Facebook, etc.).
- Ability to work effectively and relate with a diverse group of team members, students, staff, faculty, and administrators.
Southern Connection scholarship:
$1000 scholarship opportunity available to qualified applicants
Southern Connection application and selection process:
Student must complete the Southern Connection Student Leadership Team online application by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 1.
As part of the selection process, each student must have one (1) recommendation from a full-time faculty and/or staff member at Southern Miss Gulf Park campus or current institution. The recommendation will offer insight regarding your skills related to this leadership position. Faculty/staff may complete the online recommendation form.
In addition, as part of th selection process, each student must complete an interview with the selection committee. Interviews will be held on: Tuesday, April 5; Wednesday, April 6; Thursday April 7. Interviews will be held in Hardy Hall 242. Students will participate in a 20-30 minute interview with the selection committee. Students will be able to sign up for an interview time when they complete their online application. Attire for interview is business casual (no jeans). Show us your Golden Eagle spirit!
- All students participating in the interview process will be notified on their University email account regarding their application and selection status.
- For questions regarding the application or selection process, please email email@example.com or call 228.865.4577.