About Southern Connection Leadership Team
Want to engage in student activities that develop your leadership skills?
The Southern Connection Student Leadership Team serves as an exciting opportunity to represent the Gulf Park campus while growing and developing as a leader. The team provides various activities for students to learn more about leadership development while identifying and shaping their personal leadership style.
Southern Connection Leadership Team is comprised of a diverse group of individuals who serve as leadership ambassadors for university events, including commencement and welcome week. The team consists of 12 members who are selected in the spring semester.
Southern Connection student leaders have:
- Strong leadership and communication skills, creativity and integrity;
- A desire to help new and returning students; and
- And a Southern Miss spirit!
Southern Connection responsibilities include:
- Serving as student leadership ambassadors for the Southern Miss Gulf Park campus;
- Serving as host group for University events;
- Actively participating in Welcome Week activities;
- Promoting and assisting in the planning of campus events;
- Serving as orientation leaders for Gold Rush Orientation and Registration (Summer 2017);
- Leading small group sessions with new students;
- Acquainting new students to Southern Miss traditions, student services information, campus environments, activities, and facilities; and
- Attending monthly meetings and leadership retreats.
Southern Connection qualifications:
- Currently enrolled, full-or part-time (at least 6 hours), as a degree-seeking graduate or undergraduate student at the Gulf Park campus.
- Must possess a 2.25 cumulative GPA (non-rounded) at Southern Miss and must maintain a 2.25 GPA during their tenure on the Southern Connection Student Leadership Team. Transfer GPA requirement is also 2.25 cumulative (non-rounded).
- Student leaders must remain in good academic standing and judicial standing with the University; must not violate the Student Code of Conduct and/or Academic Integrity Policy, and conduct themselves in an appropriate manner both in person and on social media.
- Ability to work effectively and relate with a diverse group of team members, students, staff, faculty, and administrators.
Southern Connection scholarship:
$1000 scholarship opportunity available to qualified applicants
Southern Connection application and selection process:
Student must complete the Southern Connection Student Leadership Team online application by 5 p.m. on Monday, March 27. Click here to complete the application.
As part of the selection process, each student must have one (1) recommendation from a full-time faculty and/or staff member at Southern Miss Gulf Park campus or current institution. The recommendation will offer insight regarding your skills related to this leadership position. Faculty/staff may complete the online recommendation form.
In addition, as part of the selection process, each student must complete an interview with the selection committee. Interviews will be held during the week of April 3. Interviews will be held in Hardy Hall 242. Students will participate in a 20-30 minute interview with the selection committee. Students will be able to sign up for an interview time when they complete their online application. Attire for interview is business casual (no jeans). Show us your Golden Eagle spirit!
- All students participating in the interview process will be notified on their University email account regarding their application and selection status.
- For questions regarding the application or selection process, please email email@example.com or call 228.214.3330.