Alumni Spotlight - January 2013
Margaret Buttross Brinegar
- BS Speech and Hearing Sciences USM 1974
- M.S. Speech-Language Pathology University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill 1976
- Post Graduate studies Speech-Language Pathology/Early Intervention earned Specialist License 1993
- Early employment years (1974-1978) public schools in New Orleans, Bay St. Louis,
- 1979 hired as a Clinical Supervisor and Speech-Language Pathologist for the Preschool Language Program
- 1981 Assistant Director of The Children’s Center for Communication and Development
- 1999 Director of The Children's Center for Communication and Development
- 2012 - Special Programs Manager for The Children's Center for Communication and Development
Additional experience throughout Mississippi with legislative advocacy with the Department of Education and Department of Health for early intervention funding for children with special needs, as well as the master supplement for Mississippi speech language pathologists in the public school settings.
Special Appointments Currently Held:
- State Interagency Coordination Council for Early Intervention for State of MS; governor appointed 2003- present (the mission of the State ICC is to assist the Mississippi Department of Health and other agencies on matters dealing with early intervention for children with developmental disabilities, especially infants and toddlers.
- The Greater Pine Belt Community Foundation: serve on Grant Application Committee
Presentations / Workshops
- Throughout Mississippi 1981- 2008 with emphasis on development of early intervention programming and Early Intervention Communication for Children with Disabilities; also, phonological disorders in preschoolers
- Mississippi Chapter-American Academy of Pediatrics “Communication Markers and Referring the Infant, Toddler and Preschooler for Speech and Language Intervention, Spring Meeting 2005
- Staff development to special education staff “Assessment of the Preschool Child”
- Mississippi Organization of Special Education Services Annual Conference “Integrative IEP Planning for the Language-Speech Impaired Preschooler.
- Mississippi Speech and Hearing Association Panel “Perspectives on Home-Based Programs Birth to 3 years”
- Staff Excellence Award, College of Health 2011
- Professional Staff Award 2011
- Gold Leaf Society 2011
- American Speech and Hearing Association, licensed by the Mississippi Department of Education and Mississippi Department of Health.