Information and Resources for Current Students
Registering for Classes
Once a student is advised, the advisor flags the student in the system allowing the student to register for courses through SOAR. If a student has not been advised, he/she should not register for classes. Registration is open during prescribed times/dates as listed in the university’s Academic Calendar.
SOAR (Southern Online Accessible Records)
- See SOAR for:
- Course Schedules
- Progress to Degree (GRD11)
- See USM Libraries for:
- Databases and Resources
- Books, magazines, films, etc.
- Reference materials
- Document delivery services
- Laptop computer checkout
- APA and Plagiarism Tutorials
- See Student Services for:
- Copy Center
- Email Accounts
- Financial Aid
- Dining Services
- Technology Support
Student Support (Writing, Speaking, Presenting, Researching, Stats)
- APA Formatting Instructions
- APA Format for Common Sources in Reference List
- Graduate Student Educational Research Fund
- Internet Tutorials– how to conduct online searches
- Learning Enhancement Center (Workshops
- The Speaking Center
- The Writing Center
Important Information and Deadlines
Students are encouraged to plan for the various deadlines they are required to meet. These deadlines come from a variety of sources. The following is a partial list to consider:
- Last day to drop course without academic penalty
- Last day to drop course without financial penalty
- Registration (regular and late)
- Graduation deadlines
- Thesis/dissertation Guidelines
- Exam schedule
- Billing Schedule
- SOAR Registration
The comprehensive exam is a degree requirement for all graduate students. Comprehensive exams are program-specific and are administered each semester. Students generally take comps during their final semester of coursework. Please contact your advisor and/or program coordinator for more specific information.
- See Graduate School for:
- USM Guidelines for Dissertation
- Graduate Committee Request Form
- Dissertation Proposal Approval Form
- Dissertation Oral Defense Results Form
Handbooks and Policies
- Requirements: Students must meet degree requirements established by the university and ESR Department.
- Application for Degree: Students must apply for their degree by following the policies of the Graduate School.
Application should be made during the semester prior to the anticipated graduation.
- Commencement: Ceremonies are held at the end of the fall and spring semesters on both the Hattiesburg and Gulf Coast campuses. Participation is strongly encouraged for all graduates and is a university requirement for doctoral graduates.
Department of Educational Studies & Research
Educational Studies & Research
118 College Drive #5093
Hattiesburg, MS 39406