IDS New Employee Info
If you have an idea of something that needs to be on this page, please let me know.
- Obtain appointment with HR for in-processing. They will give you your employee ID
called an "EmplID." It will be a W with a six digit number such as W123456. It may
take a day or so for your accounts to be registered in the system. Once they are registered,
your SOAR account (Employee and Student access to the University) and email will be
ready to use.
- See Rich%20Baker, 6-6288, room 441 about getting a computer, establishing your email account, getting
an office phone, and taking your staff mug shot.
- See Billy%20Tala, 6-5739, room 439 about pay issues and establishing a long distance charge code.
Supplies and Equipment:
- If you need typical office supplies, check with the front office to see if we have
it in stock.
- To order supplies, route the requirement through your program coordinator. The coordinator
will check with Billy to see about funding then make the order.
- To order electronic equipment or software, tell Rich what the requirements are and
let him do the research. Once the equipment is selected, Rich will coordinate with
your director and Billy to see if we can order the item for you.
- What is it? SOAR is a portal for employees of USM used to do many functions. The most
important function for you right now is probably your "Time and Attendance" reporting
and your pay. Once you have your "W######" EmplID (pronounced "imp el eye dee" and
password, you will be able to access the system.
- USM provides all typical software for your office computer and for your home computer.
As a staff member you may user your EmplID to download and install these items. Depending
on the status of current contracts with various vendors, the latest versions of MS
Windows and MS Office are often free for your home computer. See http://www.usm.edu/itech/software-downloads-and-purchases for a list of all software available.
- Please do not install or use iTunes, Quicktime, or AOL on your USM owned computer.
- Avoid accepting the popular search bars for browsers. All of these items take up space
on your screen, will cause your computer to run slower, and attract malware.
- For Hattiesburg staff, see Billy to order your office key. Your key will open your
office door, the mailroom door, and both hallway doors including the stairwell door
by the elevator (never locked), and the stairwell door at the east and west ends of
- For Jackson staff, see Gloria Wesley.
- For TLC staff, see Ashley Nicole Flowers.
- To obtain access to Hattiesburg, Bond Hall via the southwest corner stairwell and
the entrance under the canopy, call iTech at 601.266.4190. You will probably be instructed
to send an email and provide your EmplID (w######), your name, and what doors you
will need access to for IDS.
- Caution, if you will be working after 5:00 PM, carry your keys with you. The doors
at each hallway entrance are locked. Take your keys with you.
- IDS a shared Google Calendar found at http://calendar.google.com.
- Username: usmids
- Password: (see Rich Baker)
- Use the calendar to reserve presentation equipment, show project activities, reserve
IDS Library, and announce your personal vacation times. Please see the Rich on how
to use the calendar properly.
- To make new publications such as brochures in Hattiesburg, see Alma Ellis in Jackson.
- To request a display board, post the request on the Equipment calendar on the IDS
Calendar (see above) and send an email to richard.bakerFREEMississippi.
- Contact Dr. Mina Li about NIRS data training and inputs.
- Student workers are typically available to assist with copying, filing, etc. Please
check with the front office for availability.
USM Talk is a listserv for employees of USM where you can voice concerns or even post personal
items for sale. To subscribe or unsubscribe visit https://mailman.usm.edu/mailman/listinfo/usmtalk.
- The program coordinator is responsible to obtain photo/video documentation of your
program. We have cameras available for you to check out from our Tech Support Rich
- You are responsible to obtain a photo/video release from the subjects. Often it is good practice to place the photo/video release as the documention on a sign-in form.
- Upon request, Rich will be glad to come to your event and take photo/video.
- Video projects take a considerable amount of planning however can yield years of benefit.
Talk to Rich about your projects. Here are some issues to consider before talking
- Desired length
- Amount of time allowed to create
- Photo/Video releases
- Target audience and delivery venue
- Background music
- Desired testing capability and reporting of results
- Tracking of usage
For an existing page:
Send an email to Richard.bakerFREEMississippi containing:
- URL of the page to be updated
- information about the update
"Rich, please put this on the site." (Don't laugh, I get this ALL THE TIME.)
"Rich, on http://www.usm.edu/disability-studies/someprogram/someexactpage please replace para 3 with the para below:
Bla bla bla. Here’s an example paragraph to be loaded on my site. Bla bla bla, yadda
yadda yadda. Bla bla bla. Here’s an example paragraph to be loaded on my site. Bla
bla bla, yadda yadda yadda. Bla bla bla. Here’s an example paragraph to be loaded
on my site. Bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda. Bla bla bla. Here’s an example paragraph
to be loaded on my site. Bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda. Bla bla bla. Here’s an example
paragraph to be loaded on my site. Bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda. Bla bla bla. Here’s
an example paragraph to be loaded on my site. Bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda."
For a new page or extensive updates to an existing page:
- Send an email to Rich explaining which program the page will go with/under and the
name of the program.
- Attach a word document formatted so the page name is in the first line on the upper
left of the document on each page.
- Do not include photos on the initial construction of the site. Once the site/page
is established, send Rich an email with the images and describing where each one should
- Rich will try and send you a message as each phase is complete.
- Once you get assigned a phone number, here are the instructions to set up your new voicemail. These come from the Helpdesk.
- If you need your telephone or network connection moved, let IDS Tech Coordinator,
Rich%20Baker 6-6288 know. He will need your room number, number on the phone, and network recepticals
you need moved from and to.
- To access your email enter the url: outlook.com/usm.edu and enter your EmplID and
- You can access your paycheck and other personnel items via https://soarhr.usm.edu.