Academic Status Appeal
When Does Academic Probation Occur?
If an undergraduate student does not attain an established minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) based on total hours, he or she is placed on academic probation at the end of the semester (Undergraduate Bulletin).
When Will Academic Probation Be Removed?
Academic probation will be removed when the student attains the minimum cumulative GPA.
What Happens If a Student Does Not Attain the Minimum Cumulative GPA in the Subsequent Semester?
If the student does not attain the minimum cumulative GPA the subsequent semester, the student will be placed on academic probation continued.
How Long Can a Student Remain on Academic Probation?
A student may remain on academic probation continued for as long as he or she earns a semester GPA of at least a 2.00 or attains the minimum cumulative GPA.
When Will a Student on Academic Probation Continued Be Suspended?
A student will be suspended from the university the first semester he or she does not earn at least a 2.00 semester GPA while on academic probation continued.
For How Many Semesters Is a Student On Academic Suspension Unable to Enroll at The University?
A student who has been placed on academic suspension for the first time may not enroll in the university for a minimum of one semester.
How Can A Student Appeal An Academic Suspension?
- The student may appeal the academic suspension to return immediately by submitting a Petition for Suspension Clearance form available on the Office of the Registrar website.
- The form must be signed by the chair or director of his or her major department or school and must also be approved by the dean of the respective college.
- Any denials that are appealed must have all petition paperwork submitted to Office of the Provost for review and final decision.
What Is the Process for Gaining Readmission to USM Following a Suspension?
- Readmission after the required suspension period requires reinstatement to the university through the Petition for Suspension Clearance form initiated with the chair or director of the student’s current department or school and the dean of the college in which the student was enrolled as a major.
- The student will be required to meet a minimum term GPA according to the petition form.
- A student who meets the term GPA according to the petition form will be allowed to sustain continued enrollment each semester as long as the student is meeting with their advisor and meeting the required term GPA improving the cumulative GPA.
What Happens If a Student Fails to Meet the GPA After Being Readmitted Following a Suspension?
Students who fail to meet that GPA will be suspended at the end of the next term for a minimum period of two semesters.
How Does a Student Appeal a Second Suspension After Being Readmitted?
As with the first suspension, a student may appeal the second suspension through the same process.
When Is A Graduate Student Placed On Probation?
A graduate student whose cumulative graduate GPA or whose program grade point average falls below a 3.0 is placed on probation.
When Is A Graduate Student Who Is On Probation Discontinued?
A student who fails to achieve a 3.0 at the end of the probationary semester is reclassified as a discontinued student.