Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

What Rights Does an Individual Have Under FERPA?

As stated in the Southern Miss and FERPA Compliance Policy, the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gives individuals the opportunity to challenge or amend his/her education record.

When Can an Educational Record be Amended?

If inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of privacy or other rights of the student

To Whom Should Education Record Changes be Directed?

Challenges and requests for a hearing must be in writing and should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.

Process for Requesting A Challenge or Amendment of Education Record:

  • The student may submit a written request to the Registrar's Office that the record be amended or the FERPA violation be investigated.

    • The Office of the Registrar is located in Kennard-Washington Hall, Room 110.
  • Within 60 days of receipt of the written request, the university will inform the student as to whether the record will be amended. The request should include justification for the challenge. A grade may be challenged on the grounds that it was inaccurately recorded.

  • If the decision is negative, the student may submit a written request for a hearing in order to challenge the content of the record(s). The hearing committee will inform the student of the date, place, and time of the hearing.