UNION COMPLEX GENERAL POLICIES
The University of Southern Mississippi’s Union Complex may be reserved by student organizations, university departments and community patrons through the Event Services office
website, http://eduprod.usm.edu/event-services. Persons who use these facilities are expected to abide by the Union Complex Policies and other university regulations.
Reason for Policy/Purpose
This policy is required for the effective communication of university policy regarding use of the Union Complex.
Who Needs to Know This Policy
All members of The University of Southern Mississippi community.
Website Address for this Policy
The Union and Programs Department reserves the right to add or change these policies.
- All space in these facilities will be under the supervision of the director.
- Classes, lectures, laboratories, tests, or any type of class for credit or non-credit will not be scheduled in these facilities unless approved by the director.
- Rearrangement, removal, or the addition of furnishings or equipment to these facilities will require the approval of the director.
- Tape will not be allowed on any walls, floors or carpet in the Union Complex. Please consult the Event Services manager for other options. Also, consult the Event Services manager regarding the use of candles and decorations.
- Paints and markers are not allowed in the Union Complex, except for those provided by the Union Administrative Office (dry erase markers) and the Student Activities Office (poster paint) which is only allowed in the designated area.
- No organization or student will remain in the Union Complex facilities after it is officially closed without the permission of the director.
- Southern Miss Catering will handle all food requests for the university. NO OUTSIDE CATERERS WILL BE ALLOWED. For on-campus student organizations please refer to the snack policy for more information.
- For information regarding the display of signs, banners and posters in the Union Complex please refer to the Sign Policy, available at eduprod.usm.edu/institutional-policies/policy-stua-una-006
- For all disability accommodations and information please refer to our website, http://eduprod.usm.edu/event-services.
- For all fees please refer to our website http://eduprod.usm.edu/event-services. Additional fees will be charged for use of the building after regular operating hours, which may be found on our Web site at http://eduprod.usm.edu/student-affairs/union-complex-building-hours. Certain events may require police officers at the expense of the organization.
- You must have a valid Southern Miss student, staff or faculty identification card to enter the game room or be accompanied by someone with such card. No children under the age of 10 are allowed in the game room, unless under the supervision of a registered camp. No profanity or gambling allowed.
EVENT SERVICES POLICIES
- Reservations of the rooms and the lobby will be done on a first-come, first-served basis, with preference given in the following order: student organizations, university departments and offices, non-university related groups.
- While reservations should be made at least 48 hours in advance, the earliest possible dates to make reservations are as follows: APRIL 1 – Student organizations may reserve space for the following academic year. MAY 1 – Faculty, staff and administration may reserve space for the following academic year. JUNE 1 – Non-university related groups may reserve space for the following academic year.
- Block reservations may be made, but the Union reserves the right to make changes. Block booking for departmental use may not exceed five consecutive days, excluding conferences or other events that require rental fees. After five days, fees will be implemented.
- Departments sponsoring corporate meetings will pay external fees unless the sponsoring department directly benefits from the program, at which they will pay department fees.
- All requests must be submitted through “Virtual EMS,” the Union and Programs department’s event management software. Visit our Web site at http://eduprod.usm.edu/event-services. A confirmation of your booking will be sent to you via e-mail within two business days. Other spaces that may be reserved through this office are listed on our website.
- Any audiovisual (AV) equipment needs must be discussed with the Event Services manager 72 hours in advance. Any needs that cannot be met by the Event Services office must be requested by e-mailing email@example.com 48 hours in advance.
- For information or to reserve space on the Thad Cochran Center technology screen, please refer to the Technology Screen Policy posted under the policies section of our Web site, http://eduprod.usm.edu/event-services/policies, or contact our Technical Services manager at 601.266.4719.
- For information on storage, please refer to our Conference Storage Contract available at http://eduprod.usm.edu/event-services/policies.
- Insurance Coverage is required for some events. Please refer to Customer Agreement available at http://eduprod.usm.edu/event-services/policies.
- Customers are required to cover expenses if there is damage to the facility, furniture or equipment and/or excessive cleanup following an event.
If you have any questions or problems, please contact Event Services at 601.266.4399 or stop by the Event Services desk located on the second floor of the Thad Cochran Center.
The Director of University Union and Hub is responsible for the review of this policy every four years (or whenever circumstances require immediate review).
Conference Storage Contract available at http://eduprod.usm.edu/event-services/policies.
Customer Agreement available at http://eduprod.usm.edu/event-services/policies.
Amendments: Month, Day, Year – summary of changes
11/01/11: Formatted for Institutional Policies website.
02/27/13: Formatted for template. Minor editing throughout.