TRANSFER PROCEDURE (For Current Students Only)

Students Transferring Out of Southern Miss

In order to affect an U.S. Department of Homeland Security SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) transfer of schools within the United Sates, you should first notify International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) at Southern Miss of your intent to transfer-out and you must give us the name of the school you plan to transfer to.

To be eligible to transfer, you must be enrolled full-time (or on an annual vacation period or engaging in an approved Optional Practical Training program) and in-status with the Immigration Service. If you have failed to maintain your lawful F status, you may not qualify for a school transfer. Individuals in violation of status may be required to apply for a “Return to Status or Reinstatement” with USCIS.

You may not remain in the United States between transfer programs if you will not resume classes within 5 months of transferring out of the current school, or within 5 months of the completion date as indicated on the Form I-20 issued by the current school whichever comes earlier. Or the completion date as noted on your work authorization card (EAD).

You are responsible for contacting the Director or Assistant Director of ISSS when you arrive at Southern Miss. Your transfer must be processed within 15 days of your initial enrollment date at Southern Miss. Please remember that failure to follow the above or below stated procedures could result in a violation of your lawful F student status.

NOTE: If you plan to depart from the United States immediately after leaving Southern Miss and before you enroll in the new school, you must make arrangements with the transfer school to ensure that all necessary documentation is received in a timely manner.

For reentry into the U.S., you should follow the procedure listed below:

(A) If you are in good immigration standing and the visa stamp in your passport remains valid for reentry, simply present your SEVIS I-20 at the port-of-entry to the U.S.;

(B) If you visa has expired, you will need to take the new SEVIS I-20, proof of financial support, proof of attendance (transcript and/or a letter from the school), and proof of your ties to your home country to the U.S. Consulate/Embassy in the country you will be visiting and apply for the new F-1 student visa. Your transfer will be executed when you reenter the U.S. at the port-of-entry.