Hydrographic Science > Admissions

Hydrographic Science


Admission Requirements for Graduate Degree

The Division of Marine Science offers a M.S. degree in Hydrographic Science, as well as a Ph.D. degree in Marine Science with an emphasis in Hydrography. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution is required for acceptance into the program. See below for Prerequisites for the Hydro program.

Prospective domestic students should apply for admission to the Graduate School through their website. Foreign students must apply for admission through the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.

Aptitude Tests and Application Materials

Regular admission to the master's program in Hydrographic Science requires successful completion of the Graduate Record Examination (all sections) and a high grade point average for the last two years of undergraduate study. Also required are three letters of recommendation from persons qualified to assess the applicant's readiness for graduate study. A letter of intent should also be addressed to the department chair expressing personal academic, research, and career goals. This letter is used in two ways in the admission process. It provides a sample of the applicant’s s writing competency and communication skills, and provides information concerning the compatibility of the applicant's interest with departmental research interests. A minimum score of 80 is required on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a minimum score of 6.5 is required on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for applicants whose native language is not English.


To apply for the Hydrographic Science Master's Program, you must have a baccalaureate degree that includes the following prerequisites:

    Courses in Single Variable Calculus, Multi-variable Calculus and familiarity with Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics. Also recommended is a course in differential equations.
    Courses in Mechanics, Electricity, Wave Motions
    Familiarity with MATLAB programming

Financial Assistance

It is possible to be considered for a teaching or research assistantship for entering non- sponsored students. At the present time, all assistantships include a full tuition waiver. If seeking an assistantship, your application materials must be received by the end of February for Fall semester admission. Assistantships will not be considered for students completing the program in one year.

International Military

Send requests to attend the program to the Office of Defense Cooperation (ODC) located in your home country. In those countries where there is no ODC, the request for attendance should be directed to the U.S. Naval Attaché at the U.S. Embassy. The program is listed in the Military Articles and Service Listing (MASL) under the title International Hydrographic Science Applications Program, MASL number P-169265. Additional information about the program can be obtained by contacting: Richard Santiago, International Military Student Officer (IMSO), Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Professional Development Center, 5901 CBC 15th Street, Building 461, NCBC Gulfport, MS 39501. Tel: 228-871-3788.

How to Apply

a. Information about application procedures can be found here

b. After all credentials are received, the Graduate School or Office of International Student and Scholar Services will compute the applicant's grade point average and will forward the application, reference forms and transcript to the department chair. As soon as the application has been processed by the department chair, the school or college dean concerned, and the Graduate Dean, the Office of Graduate or Office of International Student and Scholar Services will notify the applicant of the University's decision on the request for admission.