Medical Laboratory Science Graduate Curriculum
graduate_handbook_2012.pdf Program Requirements:
- A minimum of thirty (30) semester hours of course work, excluding hours awarded for thesis, is required for the thesis option. A minimum of thirty-six (36) semester hours of course work is required for the non-thesis option.
- In addition, individuals who do not hold certification at admission must complete a practicum of forty-six (46) hours. A minimum of eighteen (18) semester hours must be in courses numbered 600 or above. The courses should interrelate and be directed toward an area of emphasis. An area of emphasis such as microbiology, chemistry, hematology, immunology, management, or education will be chosen by the student, and all course work designated and approved by the student's graduate committee during the first semester of the program.
- Students selecting the thesis option are required to write a thesis under the direction of a Medical Technology department faculty member on a subject approved by the student's graduate committee. The student's graduate committee is composed of a chair and two members recommended by the department chair and appointed by the graduate dean.
- Courses in which a student receives less than a "C" will not be counted toward the degree.
- A student may not have more than two practicum courses and two other courses with a grade of "C" or below.
- Upon completion of course work, all students must pass oral and written comprehensive examinations. Additionally, student selecting the thesis option must successfully present an oral defense of the master's thesis.
- Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA to graduate.
- Non-major masters students must obtain permission of the instructor to register for MLS 502, 502L, 504, 504L, 506, 506L, 515. Registration for practicum level courses is limited as described in the Graduate Bulletin.