Frequently Asked Questions about The Pride of Mississippi Marching Band
CLICK HERE (.pdf)
Questions About Band Membership
Do I have time to be in band if I don’t major in music?
YES! Band rarely is the case for poor academic performance, and does enhance the college experience. The marching band, for example, meets Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Does band cost anything?
NO! All expenses (other than personal items like shoes and valve oil, etc.) are provided by the Southern Miss Band department. Uniforms are provided free of charge to marching band members.
How do I audition for the band and/or service awards?
1. Contact Southern Miss Bands via e-mail at email@example.com, or by phone at 601.266.4990 to set up an audition date and time.
2. Auditions for non-music majors include all major scales, the chromatic scale, a prepared solo or etude, and sight-reading.
3. All music majors must contact the professor of the applicable instrument for service award auditions.
4. You will be informed of your audition results by letter in the middle to late spring.
5. Fill out the online band application: Prospective Student Application
The University of Southern Mississippi provides additional assistance to academically talented students. For complete information, please call the Office of Admissions and Recruitment at 601.266.5000. Students with special financial needs should call the Southern Miss Financial Aid Office immediately at 601.266.4774. You MUST apply for financial aid by February 1.
All band service awards at Southern Miss are awarded for participation in the band program and are on the basis of musical ability, attitude, and current instrumentation needs.
Contact USMBands@usm.edu, Dr. Mohamad Schuman , or Dr. James Standland at to set up an audition!
How do I Audition for Southern Miss Bands?
Contact Southern Miss Bands via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 601.266.4990 to set up an audition date and time. Auditions are scheduled Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). Auditions include all major scales, the chromatic scale, a prepared solo or etude, and sight-reading. You will be informed of your audition results by letter in the middle to late spring.
Fill out the online prospective student application Prospective Student Application
Please direct any scholarship questions to Dr. Mohamad Schuman.
All music majors must contact the professor of the applicable instrument to schedule service award auditions.
The Dixie Darlings
- The Dixie Darlings clinics are scheduled for:
- The Dixie Darlings auditions are scheduled for:
- Click here for a list of frequently asked questions.
- Click here for application.
For more information on the Southern Miss Dixie Darlings, please contact their director - Mrs. Tracy Smith at DixieDarlingDir@aol.com.