The University of Southern Mississippi Horn Choir is currently made up of 20+ horn players and enthusiasts from the USM Horn Studio and Community. The group presents one formal concert per semester at the University, as well as other performances both on and off campus as the full group or smaller chamber ensembles
The University of Southern Mississippi Brass Ensemble is comprised of 16-20 of the best musicians in the School of Music. Participants are selected based upon audition and teacher recommendation. Repertoire for the group includes both original compositions and transcriptions and arrangements of music ranging from Renaissance to Contemporary styles. It is the aim of this group to experience the diversity of the Brass Ensemble repertoire and perform it at the highest level possible. The University of Southern Mississippi Brass Ensemble meets for weekly rehearsals. The group is active in performances on campus and continues to seek off campus opportunities in addition to hosting guest artists in residence. In March of 2009 they hosted Fred Mills, founding member of the Canadian Brass in a 3 day residency, during which time they worked with him in rehearsals and master classes to present a final concert on March 24th. This concert also featured the Mississippi Brass Artists Ensemble, a group made up of the Southern Arts Brass Quintet and special guests “The Capitol Brass”. In the spring of 2011, the group will hold its first annual Concerto Competition; the winner will perform as featured soloist with the group on their concert in April. Pictures from one of the USM Brass Ensemble “Brown Bag Series” performances in front of the Dome Rotunda Building on the USM campus.
Students in the USM Horn Studio have many opportunities both on and off-campus.
There are several ensembles in which students participate including:
- University of Southern Mississippi Bands (Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Winds, Concert Band)
- University of Southern Mississippi Symphony Orchestra
- University of Southern Mississippi Marching Band - The “Pride” of Mississippi
- University of Southern Mississippi Horn Choir
- University of Southern Mississippi Brass Ensemble
- Chamber Ensembles: Varying Horn Configurations (duos, trios, quartets, quintets, sextets)
Several USM students also play in regional orchestras, including the Gulf Coast Symphony, Meridian Symphony, and Mobile Symphony. Additionally, there are often many calls for students needed to play at the numerous churches in the vicinity.
USM Horn Choir Recent Performances
- Performed at the 44th International Horn Society Symposium (Denton, TX)
- Performed at the 2012 MidSouth Horn Workshop (Conway, AR)
- Performed at the 2008 (Columbus, GA), 2010 (Hattiesburg, MS), and 2011 (Boone, NC) Southeast Horn Workshops
- Perform at the Annual Horn Day at USM
- Performed as part of the USM Brown Bag Concert Series
- Featured performers on the annual USM School of Music Prism Concerts