Sigma Alpha Iota
Sigma Alpha Iota (SAI) is an international fraternity for women who come together to enjoy the fellowship of music and to promote and develop music worldwide.
SAI was founded on June 12, 1903 at the University School of Music in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Mission Statement and Vision
The Mission of Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity is to encourage, nurture and support the art of music.
The Vision of Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity is to be recognized throughout the world as the foremost fraternity that
- Supports and encourages women musicians of all ages, races, and nationalities
- Supports and promotes successful and innovative educational programs in music for all stages of life
- Cultivates excellence in musical performance
- Promotes programs and activities that stress the love and importance of music in our lives
- Recognizes technological advances in the field of music
- Dedicates financial resources that ensure the continuation of programs necessary to support the objectives of the fraternity in perpetuity
- Has as its members people who exemplify professional and ethical behavior in the spirit of the Sigma Alpha Iota founders.
Purpose of Sigma Alpha Iota
- TO FORM chapters of women college students and alumnae who have a sincere interest in music.
- TO UPHOLD the highest standards of music.
- TO FURTHER the development of music in America and throughout the world.
- TO GIVE inspiration and encouragement to members.
- TO ORGANIZE the cultural life of Sigma Alpha Iota members as a contributing factor to their educational growth.