Annual Miss University of Southern Mississippi Pageant set for Oct. 23
Wed, 10/20/2010 - 14:21pm | By: David Tisdale
Ten University of Southern Mississippi students will compete this Saturday for the title of Miss University of Southern Mississippi and the opportunity to advance to the state pageant.
Hosted and produced by the Student Government Association (SGA), the 65th edition of the pageant will be held at Bennett Auditorium Oct. 23 at 7 p.m. Admission is $7. Southern Miss speech communication doctoral student Kate Covich will emcee the event.
The event is a preliminary to the Miss Mississippi Pageant, set for June 29-July 2, 2011 in Vicksburg. Contestants will also compete for $2,900 in scholarship funds.
This year's pageant contestants are:
- Lee Armstrong, a senior from Columbus, Miss. Armstrong is an exercise science major and captain of the Dixie Darlings, a member of the Luckyday Leadership Team and an ambassador for the College of Health. She is the daughter of Jim and Dorothy Armstrong.
- Emily Burnett, a sophomore from Mobile, Ala. Burnett is an elementary education major and an Eagle Ambassador, Leadership Ambassador and member of Delta Delta Delta Sorority. She is the daughter of Melvin and Eva Burnett.
- Jill Duckworth, a senior from Clinton, Miss. Duckworth is a communication major and a member of Southern Style 2009, a Leadership Scholar and member of Kappa Delta Sorority. She is the daughter of Billy and Betsye Duckworth.
- Kiara Grover, a junior from Vicksburg, Miss. Grover is a speech pathology major and a member of the Speech and Hearing Association and The Legacy. She is the daughter of A.C. and Shannon Peoples.
- Kinshannta Hall, a junior from Hattiesburg. Hall is a health policy administration major and a member of the African American Student Organization, Health Administration Society and University Spirit Committee. She is the daughter of Mark Brooks and Kim Davis.
- Brittany Massengill, a sophomore from D'Iberville, Miss. Massengill is a biological sciences major and member of the Lucky Day Citizens Scholarship Program, Alpha Lamba Delta and Phi Eta Sigma. She is the daughter of David Massengill and Sally Stieffel.
- Alex Parker, a sophomore from Picayune, Miss. Parker is a public relations major and a member of The Legacy, the African American Student Organization and the Southern Misses Dance Team. She is the daughter of Ivan and Edna Parker.
- Holli Quiroz, a senior from Petal, Miss. Quiroz is a broadcast major and member of the Student Broadcasters Association, Southern Misses Dance Team and Chi Omega sorority. She is the daughter of Ray and Sue Rayburn.
- Ann Claire Reynolds, a sophomore from Petal, Miss. Reynolds is a psychology major and a member of Eagle Connection, Student Government Cabinet and Chi Omega Sorority. She is the daughter of Eric and Virginia Reynolds.
- Megan Simmons, a junior from Petal, Miss. Simmons is a psychology major and a member of the Southern Chorale, Red Cross - Hattiesburg Chapter and works with the university's Center for Child Development. She is the daughter of Len and Tammy Simmons.
For more information about The Miss University of Southern Mississippi Pageant, contact the Southern Miss Dean of Students Office at 601.266.6028. Tickets can be purchased in advance at the Southern Miss Ticket Office, at Bennett Auditorium the night of the event, or online at www.southernmisstickets.com.