USM Honors College Alum to give Keynote Address for Pre-Law Week Activities
Wed, 09/04/2019 - 15:39pm | By: David Tisdale
Amelia Steadman McGowan, a University of Southern Mississippi (USM) alumna who is an immigration attorney with the Mississippi Center for Justice, will serve as keynote speaker for the USM School of Social Science and Global Studies annual Pre-Law Week, presented in conjunction with its Legal Studies Program, Sept. 13-20 on the Hattiesburg campus.
McGowan, who is also an adjunct professor of law at Mississippi College, is a graduate of USM’s prestigious Honors College, earning degrees in history and Spanish. She will make her presentation, “Raids and the Rule of Law: Immigration in Mississippi,” Friday, Sept. 13 at 4 p.m. in Room 108 of the Liberal Arts Building.
Pre-Law Week events are open to USM students interested in attending law school and/or pursuing a legal field career after graduation. The week’s schedule of events also include:
- Monday, Sept. 16: Lawyer Roundtable, 5:30 p.m., Room 103, Liberal Arts Building
- Tuesday, Sept. 17: Law School Application FAQs, 9:30 – 11 a.m., Room 206, Liberal Arts Building
- Wednesday, Sept. 18: Law School Fair, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Thad Cochran Center
- Thursday, Sept. 19: Mock Law School Class, 4:45 – 6:15 p.m., Room 101, Liberal Arts Building
- Friday, Sept. 20: Practice Law School Admissions Test (LSAT), 9 a.m. – 12 p.m., Room 109, Liberal Arts Building
For more information on Pre-Law Week, contact Dr. Courtney Robinson, assistant to the director, USM School of Social Science and Global Studies, at courtney.l.robinsonFREEMississippi.