Record Number of USM Students Earn Gilman Scholarships
Tue, 08/11/2020 - 11:12am | By: Carlee Causey
An unprecedented 14 University of Southern Mississippi students are among the recipients selected in the March 2020 cycle to receive the prestigious Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship to study or intern abroad.
This represents a record number for the University during a single selection cycle and nearly doubles the number of Gilman Scholarships awarded to Southern Miss students at this time last year.
This cycle’s recipients include:
· Emily Blades, a sophomore nursing major who will study abroad in Spain
· Brady Brock, a senior psychology major who will study abroad in England
· Breana Crane, a senior psychology major who will study abroad in England
· Kaejha Dee, a senior graphic design major who will study abroad in England
· Jala Dorrough, a senior psychology major who will study abroad in England
· Dakota-Kanae Harris, a senior sociology major who will study abroad in England
· Olivia Ladner, a junior English who will study abroad in England
· Asia Mangum, a junior film studies major who will study abroad in France
· Timothy O’Toole, a senior dance performance major who will study abroad in England
· Thuy-Vy Lillian Pham, a sophomore biomedical sciences major who will study abroad in Spain
· Mallorie Pittman, a junior communication studies major who will study abroad in Spain
· Madison Stobert, a junior elementary education/special education major who will study abroad in England
· Brittany Willard, a senior graphic design major who will study abroad in England
One additional student who did not wish to have information shared was awarded a scholarship and will travel to Spain.
“In comparison to last year, there was about a 55 percent increase in the number of awards Southern Miss students won this cycle,” said Carlee Causey, Project Director for Nationally Competitive programs. “I am especially proud of the work the newest cohort of
Gilman recipients has put in towards this prestigious accomplishment. They submitted their applications for the deadline the same week the University and the state began to shut down due to COVID-19. Amid great uncertainty these students persevered and are now reaping the rewards. Special thanks to the Office of Study Abroad for its great contributions throughout this process.”
These students bring the total of Southern Miss Gilman recipients to 17 for the 2019-2020 year. Caitlyn Sumrall of Poplarville, Roman Stokes of Monticello, and Kirsten Piper of Gulfport were named Gilman Scholars in the October 2019 application cycle.
Causey and the Office of Study Abroad staff will work together to assist these students in deferring their program start date as study abroad has been suspended through December 2020.
The congressionally funded Gilman Program broadens the U.S. student population studying and interning abroad by providing scholarships to outstanding undergraduates who demonstrate financial need. Since the program’s establishment in 2001, the Gilman Program has awarded more than 31,000 scholarships to students from 1,335 institutions to participate in study abroad
The Gilman Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and is supported in its implementation by the Institution of International Education.
For more information on the Gilman International Scholarship contact Carlee Causey at firstname.lastname@example.org