Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Gamma Lambda Chapter
The Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) – In 1922 six nurses founded STTI at the Indiana University Training School for Nurses, now the Indiana University School of Nursing, in Indianapolis, Ind., USA. The founders chose the name from the Greek words Storgé, Tharsos and Timé meaning "love," "courage" and "honor." STTI became incorporated in 1985 as Sigma Theta Tau International Inc., a nonprofit organization with a 501(c)(3) tax status in the United States.
SSTT, the only international nursing honor society worldwide, is a global community of nurse leaders with members belonging to 475 chapters who live in 90 countries. Through this network, members lead in using knowledge, scholarship, service and learning to improve the health of the world's people
The mission of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) is to support the learning, knowledge, and professional development of nurses committed to making a difference in health worldwide.
The vision of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International is to create a global community of nurses who lead in using knowledge, scholarship, service and learning to improve the health of the world's people.
Membership is by invitation to baccalaureate and graduate nursing students who demonstrate excellence in scholarship and to nurse leaders exhibiting exceptional achievements in nursing. Here are some additional facts about our membership:
- STTI has more than 130,000 active members.
- Members reside in more than 85 countries.
- 39 percent of active members hold master's and/or doctoral degrees; 51 percent are in staff positions; 19 percent are administrators or supervisors; 18 percent are faculty/academics; and 12 percent are in advanced practice.
- There are 486 chapters at institutions of higher education throughout Australia, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, England, Ghana, Hong Kong, Japan, Kenya, Malawi, Mexico, the Netherlands, Pakistan, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Swaziland, Sweden, Taiwan, Tanzania, the United States and Wales.
- STTI communicates regularly with more than 100 nurse leaders who have expressed interest in establishing chapters globally, including those in Armenia, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Denmark, Finland, India, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Jamaica, Jordan, Lebanon, New Zealand, Spain and Thailand
Latest News & Updates
2015 STTI Induction Ceremony